HybridZ

New V8 260 Z by Dr_Hunt is being built

A buddy came by, dropped off some serious $$$ and a 400 sbc and wants it, trans and driveline installed in the white 260z I have parked in the yard. He'll get it painted, full interior and it's going to be a street terror!

I'll detail the engine build as we go. :mrgreen:

It sounds like a great project, so how many ongoing projects does that make for you? They must be in the double digits by now. Make sure to install the gas pedal linkage from the Pinks car so you can beat you friend. I wonder if your friend will have his Z painted before yours? Just kidding! Any progress on the Monte?

Good luck Doc.

Jason

Yes Sir, a 400 sbc in a Z car is going to be a Holy Terror! I tell you what to watch out for now are those pesky lite mid 60's Chevy II's with LS2 motors transplanted in them.

My friend just picked one up and it's been stroked to a 408 and I had my hand full only beating him by little over a car length in the 1/8th mile.

Back to the 400 in the Z, what transmission and rear end will he running in her?

400, 5.7 eagle rods, 9:1 pump gas friendly pistons, ported 882 heads, 2.02/1.60 valves, screw in studs, guide plates, isky .510 lift hydraulic flat tappet, 236 duration, 106LSA. Pretty mild really, pump gas motor, TH350, 3000 stall.

We'll work on the rear end, probably just an r200 diff.

Yes Sir, a 400 sbc in a Z car is going to be a Holy Terror! I tell you what to watch out for now are those pesky lite mid 60's Chevy II's with LS2 motors transplanted in them.

My friend just picked one up and it's been stroked to a 408 and I had my hand full only beating him by little over a car length in the 1/8th mile.

Back to the 400 in the Z, what transmission and rear end will he running in her?

my dad has a 64 chevyII that he is restoring. it has a 400 bored 60 over with 5.7 eagle rods, kb pistons, fuelie heads, weiand intake, edilebrock gear drive, screw in studs, guide plates, edilebrock roller rockers, holley 650 double pumper, 3800 stall converter, and a powerglide. it is by far the quickest street car ive ever ridden in. it has pretty much convinced me that i want a 400 for my z.

Nice to see another V8 project!

However if you don't mine me saying, it sounds like too much stall for the cam, not enough cylinder head to make over 400hp, and low on compression for that cam. Would also do better with more exhaust duration.

What are the exhaust plans?

Need to use a 153 tooth flywheel to clear the frame rails so a bolt on external balanced counter weight should be use or have the rotation assembly internally balanced. A stock 400 flywheel (168 tooth) is too large to fit in the car. You also may have clearance problems with the large 8" counter weighed balancer.

Use diesel engine oil for break in and from now on with an aftermarket cam.