HybridZ

R33 Tach and Speedometer into S30 Pods

Stealth-Z

Alot of the RB swaps I have seen have Autometer for the Tach and Speedometer. They just do not seem to fit the theme of what I want to do. So I have been staring at different Skyline guage clusters.

The R32's use a mechanical speedometer so they would not be usable with the RB25 trans I have. A few days ago I purchased a R33 cluster to do some experimentation. So far I have the tach / boost gauge mocked up in the stock S30 pod. All it takes is a little trim with a dremel.

tach.jpg

The speedometer has a cutout on the side as the fuel gauge sits in that spot. If all works out, I will relocate the stock turn signal indicators into the cut out area. The trip odemeter will most likely be relocated about a quarter of an inch up towards the 160 mark.

While the speedometer is in Kilometers it is a start. There has to be a resistance value that can be changed to make it read MPH. I need to borrow my friends oscilloscope and function generator to figure it out.

AHHHHH!!!!...I pulled out an old SX cluster I have....is the circuit just an overlay?.................. And the crcuit feeds are to the various warning lights and assesory gauges??

This is a great idea I never considering for my RB20det swap!! Has anyone sucessfully or unsuccesfully completed this swap??

The guages are connected by screws to the circuit board. The screws are the connection points. So now I have to figure out what connections go where. Basically looks like a 3 wire setup. A 12V, ground, and signal should get it working.

I am still looking through some FSM's trying to figure out the signal and power levels.

While scaning through NICO, there is this thread about converting the S14 speedometer from Kph to Mph. The face of the SKyline speedometer is different but the circuit board is the same.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/232481

http://www.rb30det.org/180mph_cluster/180mph_spedo_by_knate.pdf

Time to hunt down some S13 & S14 FSM's and look at the wiring diagrams.

Stealth,

I've done a similar tach conversion but used a R32 tach inside the S30 housing. While I put the the pod together my mechanic wired it up. From what I remember we used the ground and power wires from the 240z harness and ran a wire to the tach pin out on the ecu. Make sure you verify with your own wiring diagrams however.

As you say the R32 uses a cable speedo and like you I am running a rb25 tranny so I have don't my speed currently (though I can guess from gear and rpms).

I'm running all of the other stock gauges for the moment but am considering replacing everything with Defi.

Matt

Stealth,

I've done a similar tach conversion but used a R32 tach inside the S30 housing. While I put the the pod together my mechanic wired it up. From what I remember we used the ground and power wires from the 240z harness and ran a wire to the tach pin out on the ecu. Make sure you verify with your own wiring diagrams however.

As you say the R32 uses a cable speedo and like you I am running a rb25 tranny so I have don't my speed currently (though I can guess from gear and rpms).

I'm running all of the other stock gauges for the moment but am considering replacing everything with Defi.

Matt

Thanks for the info. Good to know Nissan did not use some sort of voltage drop circuit to feed power to the guage.

I guess I better buy a R32 cluster.....fortunately for me Im running the RB20 so the mechanical speedo is perfect. And yes the SX tach is the same, 3 brass screws hold it in place and all three are "live".

DOES ANYONE HAVE A R32 GTS-T GAUGE CLUSTER FOR SALE??????

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know if it is possiable to remove the needles from the gauges? (Inorder to modify the face.) And then get them back on so that they still read correctly.

I attempted to gently pull on the needle of the speedometer. It does not want to come off and I am not going to apply much more force.

The S30's come off easy.

You just have to pull a bit harder, it does come off, but it's surprising how much force is needed to pull it off.

I did it on my S13's HUD cluster. At the moment, I still have the KA24E in it, so I needed to use my Rev. meter. The thing is that the needle in my original cluster is longer and wouldn't clear the surounding trim of the HUD cluster, so I had to swap needles and now it works fine.

• 4 months later...

Did anyone ever figure out what the 4 screws mapped to on the speedo? I am about to jump into this same project but cannot figure out which screws correspond to which wire on the speedo, there is sig+ marked, and I think I have identified ground but not sure about the other two, one is bound to be V+ (5 or 12v?) but baffled on the last screw.

Did anyone ever figure out what the 4 screws mapped to on the speedo? I am about to jump into this same project but cannot figure out which screws correspond to which wire on the speedo, there is sig+ marked, and I think I have identified ground but not sure about the other two, one is bound to be V+ (5 or 12v?) but baffled on the last screw.

I have not figured it out either. Perhaps the 4th lead is to the ECU speed limiter?

I have not figured it out either. Perhaps the 4th lead is to the ECU speed limiter?

Hrm, good possibility. I am also trying to figure out where the second wire out of the VSS goes, one obviously goes to the Speedo which then goes back to the ECU but where does the grey/red (if I remember correctly) go?

Did you get your tach working in the S30 pods? That one looks pretty straight forward but for grins I hooked it up to a 12v source and then used alligator clip from the tach output in the engine bay to the Sig on the tach and it did not do anything....

Hrm, good possibility. I am also trying to figure out where the second wire out of the VSS goes, one obviously goes to the Speedo which then goes back to the ECU but where does the grey/red (if I remember correctly) go?

Did you get your tach working in the S30 pods? That one looks pretty straight forward but for grins I hooked it up to a 12v source and then used alligator clip from the tach output in the engine bay to the Sig on the tach and it did not do anything....

My project has been put on hold. Hopefully I can start building the motor now that I have the right pistons.

As for the Tach signal, I was looking at using pin 7 off the ECU. An ocilloscope should show a square wave about +6v. Engine bay would be a different signal.

• 2 months later...

So, I somewhat finished my R33 GT-S gauges into the S30 pods, I have not recalibrated the Speedo for MPH yet, so it looks like I am racking up an impressive number of miles on the car.

I ended up putting the E-Brake light in the concave area of the Speedo and then using the L-Hi Beam-R section of the GT-S cluster in the concave area of the Tach where the stock turbo gauge normally would be.

The only thing I have not completely finished yet is fitting a rear can onto the speedo since the stock speedo casing is much shorter than the tach, right now the speedo is just kind of wedged into its area but it does not move so this may end up being how it sits for awhile.

If anyone is interested I can post up pics of what they look like and diagrams of what pins do what on the R33 speedo/tach.