HybridZ

crazy idea for lpg conversion

Xander

Here in Holland the price for a liter of 95 octane petrol has past the 1.30 euro mark. LPG "only" costs 48 cents. I am thinking of converting the car to run on LPG. I will place a ringtank in place of the spare tire and run low pressure LPG injection. Now low pressure LPG injection works pretty wel but you can't run turbo pressure. Now I was thinking of using the LPG system for vacuum driving and injection petrol above 0 PSI absolute pressure. I do not know if this has been done before but I can't think of a reason why it would not work. When cruising I will be running on LPG and when I floor it it will automatically add the petrol. This is great for highway and low power driving costs and I don't have to throw a switch when I want to floor it and drive on petrol.

The problems I see:

I will have to use one bank for LPG and one bank for low impendance (with resistors). I don't know if I can use 6 injectors on one bank. I will have to use a dual fuel map which I have never done before.

• 1 year later...

I was just thinking along these lines...do you need to change the injectors to use LPG? I guess you would need to remap the fuel table to match the LPG calorific (is that the right word?) and octane value. I would imagine controlling the gas pressure for a high powered engine is the problem.

When I first started this thread I was considering using the Z as a daily driver. This makes milage a big issue. A LPG conversion would run me about 1500 euro's. A liter of petrol costs 1.65 euro at the moment and LPG is about 60 cents. The system will pay for itself in about 10.000 kilometers.

Guest 280Aden

why not just run a line into your air cleaner assy and do it that way? It probably sounds a bit shadetree, but you could just run that line, keep the LP turned off while the car is off, start the car, turn on the LP, and your O2 sensor should show that there is a overabundance of fuel, automatically lean the engine out a bit, and viola, its running on LP (mostly).

I think it would work.

why not just run a line into your air cleaner assy and do it that way? It probably sounds a bit shadetree, but you could just run that line, keep the LP turned off while the car is off, start the car, turn on the LP, and your O2 sensor should show that there is a overabundance of fuel, automatically lean the engine out a bit, and viola, its running on LP (mostly).

I think it would work.

I wouldn't do it this way, what ever you do...:ugg:

There are actually a number of people doing this conversion using the MegaSquirt. The worse thing that they run into would be the noise from the LPG injectors. There are a couple good fixes for that problem. 6 injectors on each bank shouldn't be a problem.