HybridZ

RADIATOR!!!

Guest jump175

Bob's Z Twins

The Summit radiator may be too wide to fit between the frame rails as it has a core width of 26.25 inches. The JTR radiator is 25.25 inches tank to tank which allows 1/8 inch clearance between the tanks and the frame rails on each side. I am using the JTR radiator with a Flex-A-Lite 180 3300 CFM fan, Edelbrock high flow water pump and a 3/4 inch flow restrictor in place of a thermostat. This confguration has worked through two summers. Most of the time I see temperatures around 180 -200 deg with my set up. See pictures below.

Also, Motor sports Auto (MSA) claims that thier 240Z aluminum radiator will work with a V8 install, but the inlet and outlet appear to be configured for a 240Z so hosing may be a problem. Not sure who makes the MSA radiator, but it would be worth contacting them to see if they could custom build the 240Z radiator with the inlet and outlet configured for a SBC.

Another possibility would be a Ron Davis custom radiator.

post-178-062473400 1293326674_thumb.jpg

post-178-094686900 1293326718_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen:

Have been running the JTR radiator with a SBC engine on a test stand. With a Tarus two speed fan on high speed during cool weather in Arizona appears to be just adequate. This does not account for an Air Conditioning Condenser in front of the JTR radiator. Removed the JTR radiator from the run-in stand and tried for fit in the 1971 240Z. With the JTR lower radiator mount in place and trying the radiator for fit, found that the HOOD WILL NOT SHUT. First the radiator cap hit the hood (Too Tall). Secondarily the top of the JTR radiator will interfere with the hood also (Too Tall!). Carefully measured and went shopping on Summit Racing for a higher capacity and dimensionally compatible radiator and found ONE model of Griffin Radiator that fits and has dual row 1 inch tube which should have much more cooling capacity than the JTR radiator.

• 3 months later...

Gentlemen:

Have been running the JTR radiator with a SBC engine on a test stand. With a Tarus two speed fan on high speed during cool weather in Arizona appears to be just adequate. This does not account for an Air Conditioning Condenser in front of the JTR radiator. Removed the JTR radiator from the run-in stand and tried for fit in the 1971 240Z. With the JTR lower radiator mount in place and trying the radiator for fit, found that the HOOD WILL NOT SHUT. First the radiator cap hit the hood (Too Tall). Secondarily the top of the JTR radiator will interfere with the hood also (Too Tall!). Carefully measured and went shopping on Summit Racing for a higher capacity and dimensionally compatible radiator and found ONE model of Griffin Radiator that fits and has dual row 1 inch tube which should have much more cooling capacity than the JTR radiator.

Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but the JTR radiator does fit well. I think your problem is that you dropped the JTR radiator mount down over the "frame" rails rather than mount it on the bottom of the rails. Easy mistake to make. I paid a shop a bundle of cash to mock up a SBC in my S30 using the early JTR kit. They couldn't close the hood, wanted to sell me a uber expensive aluminum radiator and spent some substantial time explaining that the JTR kit was S**t because it located the engine to one side and the radiator mount was too high. That three inches or so from the top of the frame rail to the bottom makes a difference.

G

Interesting that this thread was brought back to life just in time for me to do my swap. :D

I installed a new 3 core aluminum w/dual fans for the L6, but have never "really" run it. Maybe up to temperature 5-6 times since the L6 was installed. Fans kick on at about 195 and immediately drops to 175-180 within about 2-3 minutes.

It is a "Champion" radiator. "So far", this had been a great option. Seems very well built and the fans pull about 7 amps each. This unit bolted into the factory points PERFECTLY! I did not have to do ANYTHING to the car!

I am really wondering how it will do for the looming LT1 swap. Since it is a 3 core, I am hoping it will be fine. My main concern is the quality of the fans themselves! I WILL be paying attention to this!

It is basically this setup: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Row-Aluminum-1970-1971-1972-1973-Datsun-240z-Radiator-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb22aa1c6QQitemZ200557633990QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Does anybody have a similar setup? Any input?

Thanks!

Tim

post-4001-095323900 1303784663_thumb.jpg

Edited by SSuspect

Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but the JTR radiator does fit well. I think your problem is that you dropped the JTR radiator mount down over the "frame" rails rather than mount it on the bottom of the rails. Easy mistake to make. I paid a shop a bundle of cash to mock up a SBC in my S30 using the early JTR kit. They couldn't close the hood, wanted to sell me a uber expensive aluminum radiator and spent some substantial time explaining that the JTR kit was S**t because it located the engine to one side and the radiator mount was too high. That three inches or so from the top of the frame rail to the bottom makes a difference.

G

Got to hand it to Zgeezer that he is correct. Never gave it a thought to use the lower JTR radiator bracket below the front frame rails. Temporarily clamped the bracket below the frame rails and but the JTR radiator in and just as Zgeezer has said it DOES FIT. Already have a Griffin Radiator being built with double row of 1.25" tubes in the core, whereas as the JTR radiator has only one row. The JTR radiator was used one the engine run-in stand as worked well at ambient temps of 75-85 degree F. It held 180 degrees as this is the thermostat that was installed. Yet with a AC condenser installed in front of it in the 240Z the JTR radiator may fall short of proper cooling, thus the order for a Griffin Radiator with double row 1.25" cooling tubes. That should cool adequately here in Arizona with the AC condenser in front of the radiator.

Interesting that this thread was brought back to life just in time for me to do my swap. :D

I installed a new 3 core aluminum w/dual fans for the L6, but have never "really" run it. Maybe up to temperature 5-6 times since the L6 was installed. Fans kick on at about 195 and immediately drops to 175-180 within about 2-3 minutes.

It is a "Champion" radiator. "So far", this had been a great option. Seems very well built and the fans pull about 7 amps each. This unit bolted into the factory points PERFECTLY! I did not have to do ANYTHING to the car!

I am really wondering how it will do for the looming LT1 swap. Since it is a 3 core, I am hoping it will be fine. My main concern is the quality of the fans themselves! I WILL be paying attention to this!

It is basically this setup: http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

Does anybody have a similar setup? Any input?

Thanks!

That is a good looking radiator. My only concern would be mounting the fans through the radiator core. I don't think that is a good long term solution.

Good price.

G

Tim