HybridZ

Painting my new Z

CalifaThugz

There are a lot of considerations; even when it comes to primering! Depending on what you are using the car for i.e. daily driver or show constitutes your final finish. A self leveling Catalized Poly Urathane primer is by far the best. Depending on the amount of body repairs completed and how good it is will regulate the amount of primer required. Usually for a daily driver a gallon should be enough. However, if extensive work has been applied then as much as 2 gallons or more can be necessary. If you are building it up for show, plan on minimum 2, if its black then your looking at 3 gals. In SoCal, you can pick a gallon up for $55 - $85 which includes the catalyst. Guns are another story. Just remember you get what you pay for. And the quality of the finish goes hand and hand with that. Unless you are going to do a considerable amount of painting and your not shooting Candys, Pearls or Flake, then your "Primer" gun range should be somewhere around $85 -$135. You can find cheeper guns but the finish will not be the same. Your color and top coat guns again depends on the type of finish paint you'll be shooting. You can pick up a decent color gun for $150 and up. Good finish guns are $400 - $800. There are other posts in the Hybrid archieves regarding spray guns and various types. The compressor...the bigger the better as far as continual air usage and convenience of use. A small compressor will be slow to rebuild the pressure, and not hold a constant fan pattern. Also, a smaller compressor will continually run trying to rebuild the expended air. Water build up in the smaller compressors are a real problem, and you will have to buy a water trap/pressure regulator. Lots of little Gremlins to mess with. Its not just pouring some paint you picked up in a gun and start shooting. Do your research, do some practice areas and then try your hand at repainting your ride. Don't even mess with the Candies and/or Pearls until you have practiced abit with solid colors. Some of those cool Candy and Pearl colors can run as high as, $1,100.00+ a gallon. Camelion Colors are minimum $500 a quart! Good luck with your project.

VAN

Thanks! I don't know how many gallos my compressor is but if I have to I'll get a diffrent bigger one. But yea I'm just going to leave it black primer for about a month or two sand it down again afterwards and paint it metallic blue I've seen it on a lot of Z's they look clean.

The pricing structure varies depending on your geographic location. The SFO bay area cost of living index is slightly higher than here in SoCal. My cost index for supplies and materials is lower than many because I have been in the business painting custom cars for 37 years; and have delt with the same paint dist. the entire time. So, they graciously give me a break on materials and tools purchased from them. In any event, purchase quality materials and equipment and the end results will be just that...quality!

Van