HybridZ

Brake ducting

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, it seems the only good way to properly add cool air to my front brakes is by routing a hose through the unibody, in the strut tower area just above the frame rail. Since I don't have any added structual support there, is it a good idea to cut a 2.5--3" hole in the strut tower?

BTW, I'm thinking about a vented disc upgrade et al, would a caliper "scoop" be enough?

Thanks for yur advice.

Jon

Don't cut a hole in the structure near the strut tower! As stated above, run a 3" duct from whatever air dam opening you have along the lower the inside of the fenderwell. Then route it forward of the strut to a can that surrounds the solid rotor. You need to get air to both sides of the solid rotor or it will warp. If you run a vented rotor, run the air to the center hub area.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the link.

I've been looking for a good source for silicone hose, though they appear more expensive than Racer Parts Warehouse or Pegasus.

Thanks again...

Guest greimann

When you do decide where to run the ducting, consider using a proper hose for the job. One source I like to use is industrial supply catalogs like McMaster-Carr, Grainger and MSC. Much better source of fittings and hose than Home Depot.

For the ducting check out this source at McMaster-Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/108/html/0170.html

Originally posted by johnc:

Don't cut a hole in the structure near the strut tower! As stated above, run a 3" duct from whatever air dam opening you have along the lower the inside of the fenderwell. Then route it forward of the strut to a can that surrounds the solid rotor. You need to get air to both sides of the solid rotor or it will warp. If you run a vented rotor, run the air to the center hub area.

John, could you elaborate on what you mean by a "can" to surround the rotor? I understand the need to somehow deflect air to both sides of a solid rotor, just having a hard time picturing it in my head - know of any web links that may show this? BTW, I have plenty of "Bud" cans - will they work? cheers.gif

What Tim posted above...

Since the stock front rotors are solid, you need to air to both faces and the only easy way to do it is to build a structure that surrounds the rotor and moves some air from the inside face (where the hose connects), over the outer diameter of the rotor to the outside face.