HybridZ

Metal Fender Vent Installation

Bartman

I puchased a couple of 1978 Camaro Fender Vents to install in my fenders. I received them today, and I was very surprised to find they're made out of metal. Hopefully this will make it much easier to blend in with my stock metal fenders.

Do you think these fender vents are just some sort of pot metal and would there be any problem welding them into my stock fenders? I'd like them to look built in like what Dragonfly did with his later model fender vents.

Here's a shot of one of them partially sanded down:

03-10-07_1521.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. They did come with studs and backing plates, so if it would be better to install them using the studs and structural adhesive I will go that route instead. Afterwards, I'll blend them in with my Rage Gold.

BTW - The studs just have a couple of course looking threads around the middle of them. Do they just use some sort of metal clip to hold them on? I'll need to find them as they didn't come with it.

The studs likely just used some stamped steel trim nuts to hold them on. They didn't need to be very strong. If the studs are metal, I would recommend threading them to accept real nuts so that you can provide some real holding power.

Tim

Mine were made out of the same pot metal type of material. I used the built in studs and the speed nuts but I did not use the backing plate, instead I used a washer over each stud prior to putting on the speed nut and I applied epoxy to the mating surfaces before I tightened the nuts down. After everything was cured I sanded the edges of the vents down then added bondo in small amounts untill I could no longer see a line between the vent and the fender.

If I were to do it again I would carefully sand/file down the built up lip on the underside of the vent before installing it. That way you can use less body filler and not thin out the pot metal so much.

Dragonfly