HybridZ

How To Know A 351c Block???

MY77Z

hi guys,

well i've never seen a 351w block before, and not really sure what trucks they came in, so if any body could kindly tell me what year/model they came in and how to identify a 351w block because i think we have alot of them in our ford junk yards here in Kuwait.....the 351 is not for my Z, its for my engineless mustang :)

thanks

It will be almost indistiquishable from the block you put in your Z with the exception of larger main caps (not visible unless oil pan is off), and the block being slightly wider and toller. It's just a puffed up version of a 302 basically (uses same type of timing cover, bellhousing, and heads.)

The M blocks are puffed up Cleveland motors and will have a different timing cover and heads.

If I'm not mistaken, the Cleveland timing cover is a flat plate. The block is built out and timg chain is recessed in. Then the fuel pump bolts are straight up and down, instead of cross ways like the 289's/early 302's. The water pump looks the same.

Challenge my memory here, I think 351 Cleveland has the upper radiator hose coming from the block, not the front of the intake manifold.

The 351W is like the 302, the radiator hose comes off the thermostat housing on the front of the intake manifold. This makes them easy to spot in the JY.

8a1b_2.JPG

^^ 351C Torino / Mustang intake ^^

Dont forget about the physical size difference of the 351c and 351m(destroked 400). they are MUCH bigger than the 351w.

the 351w has a huge aftermarket because you can bolt most 302 parts on it, the 351c is the complete opposite. The aftermarket scene for 351c isnt nearly what it is for th 351w. so keep that in mind when choosing.

C being Cleveland, W being Windsor.

In case someone didn't know.

The heads will bolt on 351W and 302 blocks. They have the same bolt pattern. But you have to modify them to work. Thats how you get the Clevor. Check this article out, it shows and tells how and what you need to do it.

http://mustangandfords.com/techarticles/30220_clevor_engine/

Yep, that's basically what a 69'-70' BOSS 302 is; a 302 with 351 Cleveland heads. Quite a few people have put 2V or 4V 351C heads on a 302 to make their own versions.

Modern aftermarket 351W heads flow better than the Cleveland heads and as posted above, the aftermarket for Windsor motors is MUCH better.