HybridZ

anyboyd seen these before?

sone

i saw a sneak peak at nissan sports new cover and i am dieing to find this airdam and lip, i just wrote to msa to see if they have it and am waiting for their reply, but anyone seen this before?

this is what the magazine staff wrote to me.

I'm sure MSA has it. I don't know what they have it under but it was developed in teh 70s by Peter Brock for the racing team called the BRE SPOOK...

I know they added that for factory I think in europe to help keep the car more stable at higher speeds, but this one I'm pretty sure its the SPOOK from the racing days of the 240Z

Zya!

the pic::

http://a231.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/50/l_eefe48fa3b5f2b081210c90e73d599f6.jpg

thats look like it but is it me or is the

Fiberglass Front BRE Style Air Dam With Ducts

missing a bar across the top, efven though it is a more leveled angle of the car on the cover, you can see the vertical part hold another small bar across that sticks out a little under the hood that connect the both, the one that i saw on the site looks like it has the bar in the fron on top, or does it just looked tucked back under the front of the hood?

Hey, isn't that same type of dam that veritech-z "had" on his car?

Why yes, yes it is. Big-Phil also used to have one, but we're over that now. Anybody want to buy a Spook? Hey Califathug, this is what it looks like on a 280z (sans front bumper):

Atlanta029-1.jpg

The mythology behind why they are called "spooks" supposedly dates back to the old days of SCCA racing. It's a corruption of the words "spoiler" and "duct", and was developed to exploit some kind of loophole that allowed one or the other, and I guess changing the name to something clever allowed them to bypass the regulation. I don't know how true that is, but that's the story that I read somewhere on the internet, which means it's automatically true. Especially if it comes from Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia that ANYONE can edit...

The 240 & 260 front valance is a bit different shape than the 280Z.

you can see the gaps were it doesn't quite fit right on the picture of my 280 that I posted. I always meant to get in there and drill some extra holes to pull that sheet metal down, but just never got around to it. Now that I'm working on my new fascia, It doesn't matter to me anymore really. Also, the bumper overrider will work fine on a 280, i've got a parts car that has them on the front and the back.

I don't know if they stick out more or not, but the contour is definitely not quite right for this spook to fit correctly. Of course, being a fiberglass part, it's always possible that there was a "production variation" in the one I had (I got it from a friend who also wasn't the original owner of it, so we don't know where it comes from).

I dont have one so Im not able to try it but couldnt you pull down the ends of the air dam and then bolt it on. If yours is what they all look like it might be possible to get it to fit flush? It looks like if you did this the contour of the air dam would be closer to that of the 280.

Look at the picture I posted, that's my 77 280z with the spook in question attatched. That's how good (or not) it will fit.

Mopar69, the problem with that is that there are no bolt holes in mine in the places that need to be "pulled down". You would have to drill the fiberglass there, and I never really cared to risk cracking it. I usually have more pressing concerns with this car than minor cosmetic stuff, and it's just one of those little annoyances that bothered me, but unless I pointed it out to other people they really didn't notice. I've still got this spook, and no plans to use it now that I'm working with this new fascia idea, so if anybody wants it they're free to make me an offer.

The mythology behind why they are called "spooks" supposedly dates back to the old days of SCCA racing. It's a corruption of the words "spoiler" and "duct", and was developed to exploit some kind of loophole that allowed one or the other, and I guess changing the name to something clever allowed them to bypass the regulation.

Exactly, it started on the roadsters. They weren't allowed to run an air dam to improve aerodynamics, but they WERE allowed to put a brake cooling "channel/duct" thingy in, and they called it a spook.

Incidentally, that is the only reason its more of a 240 thing than a 280 thing, and why the fit is difficult.. it originated with class rules in the late sixties, by the time the 280 was around they (BRE) were allowed to do ALOT more with their cars.

by anychance do you also have the chrome/rubber part thast goes across the front? if its not cracked ill make you an offer.

i forgot who posted it but, yes you can count me as one of the ten people.

I want to change the front of my 280 by june. im still getting minor kinks out(like my poorley working regulator)

i have a red similar to the one on that cover but I WANT THAT FRONT!!!! lol