HybridZ

Some basic questions

Guest zautobahn

Guest zautobahn

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum but I've posted on and off since 1999 on several other Z-Car forums. I own a '72 240-Z which I've had for nearly 10 years now (it's my second 240 - I bought my first Z in '94, rebuilt and restored it only to have it totaled by a stopsign-running Lexus, but the guy's insurance paid nicely, and I bought back the salvage, found my second Z in a wrecking yard and rebuilt it). Whew! What a long run-on sentence!

Anyway, my Z has a factory remanufactured 2.8 engine with less than 30,000 miles on it, I converted the car from auto to 5 speed, it has the Motorsport 6 into 1 headers and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, an Electronic Ignition out of a 280ZX, K&N Filter, etc. I've got a set of Tokico Springs and 5 way adjustable shocks and all new suspension bushings, Tie rods and ball joints sitting in the basement waiting to be put on the car during Spring break (being crazy, I retired from professional trumpet playing 3 years ago and went back to school as a premed major - in two more years I'll have my Biomedical Engineering degree and I'll be applying to Med Schools.

Back to the Z: As you've probably surmised, I have a pretty decent, solid 240-Z with a strong Nissan engine and even working A/C. So while I dream of a 300+ hp V8 Z, I don't really want to do it to my present Z.

So finally, my basic newbie questions:

I've read in the past that the 280-Z makes a better starting point anyway because the chassis is stronger and has a wider transmission tunnel - is this true?

And given that if I do this, I want to have a manual transmission, is Jaguars That Run still the company to get the needed parts from?

Assuming I want to go for a modern LS1 or LS2, can these engines run well with their computerized controls if there is no Catalytic Converter in the exhaust system?

And if I want to put a Catalyist(s) in the system, is that possible to fit under a Z?

How does one find a used but good LS1 or LS2 engine?

And what is a ballpark estimate for the whole project, assuming I find and buy a solid 280, an LS1 or LS2 and transmission, and put it all together with a JTR kit?

So many questions!

Thanks in advance for your time!

Cheers,

John Mohan

zautobahn

Welcome John. You definitely came to the right place. Most of your questions if not all can be answered using the search function. Familiarize yourself with it and you will gain a ton of knowledge and the guys on the board will be very willing to help. Some things that might help...

I've read in the past that the 280-Z makes a better starting point anyway because the chassis is stronger and has a wider transmission tunnel - is this true?
This one kind of depends on who you ask and what you ultimate power goals are. At 300HP I don't think you have much to worry about as either chassis will work fine with little done to it. This also depends on how much welding and reinforcing the chassis you want to/can do yourself as your power levels increase. The 240Z will work fine as power levels increase, but will take a bit more reinforcing for all things to be equal. I believe the 72-73 transmission tunnels are a little wider than the 70-71 but still manageable.

And given that if I do this, I want to have a manual transmission, is Jaguars That Run still the company to get the needed parts from?

You mentioned LSX motors so you probably want to try someone like JCI (John's Cars Inc?) as JTR specializes in the earler V8s. Aside from the motor mounts you can still acquire other parts from JTR.

Assuming I want to go for a modern LS1 or LS2, can these engines run well with their computerized controls if there is no Catalytic Converter in the exhaust system?

From what members are reporting "Yes".

And if I want to put a Catalyist(s) in the system, is that possible to fit under a Z?

Yes, but not recommended. Guys, correct me if I am wrong but does that generate too much heat for the Zcar which was never really designed with that in mind?

How does one find a used but good LS1 or LS2 engine?

Ebay, Junkyards, classifieds on HybridZ.

And what is a ballpark estimate for the whole project, assuming I find and buy a solid 280, an LS1 or LS2 and transmission, and put it all together with a JTR kit?

This one really varies. Some guys have gotten smoking deals and others have paid more so it really depends a lot on patience and luck.

Again, welcome and good luck!

LSx engines with t56 manuals work really well in the Z's. As stated above, if you want to go with the newer GM engines, go with John's for your mounts. I believe he is still the only one selling them, and they work. Check brokenkitty.com for prices. Check out Ulises car on this site (link in his signature) or mine for LS2 swaps. There are also several very nice LS1's on this site.

Mike

Guest zautobahn

Thanks so much for the info!

I'll be checking out the Sites and cars you both referred me to this afternoon after class.

Cheers,

John

Guest zautobahn

Hey Mike,

One more thing: A while back my son and I checked out that video you had posted where you were driving your Z into the garage. That car sounds awesome!

Best wishes,

John

People run cats on their V8 swaps. Just a matter of finding room underneath the car.

240's were carburated so there is some additional work upgrading the tank with a sump for the fuel injection. 280's already have an in tank sump. 240's also have the smaller R180 rear end, so one more expense that may or may not be avoided with the 280.

For the LS swap figure $10K minimum. The used engines are getting rather expensive and all the swap stuff really adds up in a hurry.