HybridZ

73' to older SU conversion

tfreer85

Hey guys, I'm picking up my 3rd Z tomorrow, a late 1973 240z all original in really good shape/condition. After I get the rear end clunk fixed, I want to get rid of the EGR type Hitachi Carbs that I have on there. I'm looking at the 72 or older SU carbs, I've been searching for this for a while and can't seem to get an answer. From what I've gathered I need everything from the 72' n-older carbs: manifold, linkage, carbs, etc. I don't want to spend the money on Z-therapy carbs, I just want to upgrade the reliability of my current setup on the cheap. Any suggestions on how I should do this or comments to upgrade the reliability of it?

Thanks a lot,

Tyson

I slaped the whole mess right on my 75 280z (doner was a 72 240) and it works very well. I can't tell you for sure about the manifold though.. but I would think it's the same. I bought my carbs/manifold from a member here along with a 280zx distributor for $125 I think it was.. I'd recomend you do the dizzy too, as it's a simple plug and play and SO much easier to deal with compared to the stock points crap.

Oh, and the su's are so dirt simple, it's really worth your while to compleatly dissasemble them when you get them and clean/re-gasket them before instaling them. (took me about 2 hours, not noing WTF I was doing) Make sure needles arn't bent and are both set the same in the pistons, turn adjustors out about 2 turns and make sure to ballance the throttles to open at the same time. That should get you going easily.

Ditto on what was said above. I'm fairly sure the manifold is not required, but the 70-72 looks a lot better than the 73. You'll need the heat shield from the earlier z as well if you want the stock throttle return springs to work.

If you're able to, check the early carbs for excessive play/wear in the throttle shafts.

If you're able to, check the early carbs for excessive

play/wear in the throttle shafts.

This is the problem with not wanting "Z Therapy" carbs. The throttle shaft bushing wear out on the 40 year old carbs causing vacuum leaks. Not having a vacuum leak is what makes the Z Therapy carbs worth the money.

If you search around you can probably get a full set of carbs and linkage from the manifolds out for $100. But unless they have been restored with new bushing my guess is they will leak. Since replacing bushing is not something you can do yourself, you will be looking at several hundred dollars to have it done.

Well thanks for the advice, ended up after buying the vehicle returning it after an hour because vapor lock was so bad and they guy mis-represented a LOT of things. Windows were good while up, but once they were down you had to manually lift them up, just minor things that were noticeable after driving for around 30-45 minutes and I don't need/want a full blown project off the bat with this thing, thats why I have my 72 LSx-S30. A little bummed but glad to have gotten my 5k back and I've already found better Z's for less or the same price, just out of the area. Thanks again,

Tyson