HybridZ

fuel wows...i think (pics)

caszboy

I wonder if the spring and plastic are part of the fill spout door/hatch?

The inside of your tank doesn't look that bad to me. I would be tempted to just rinse it out and run it.

Be very careful with any type of home tank sealer. There have been multiple members who have had that stuff come undone and really start causing fuel starvation issues. Another member pointed out some of the sealers are not compatible with modern gasolines. If it were my car it would be professionally done or not at all.

Also keep the larger line for your fuel supply. The intake side of the pump is much more sensitive to restrictions than the output.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, as some might know, I have been messing with my car for about 3 weeks now trying to figure out why its been stalling at lights.

My first guess was fuel.... in my opinion it had to be! There was always a little bit of "stuff" in the filter before the pump. So this had to be it right? I started by pulling my gas tank, cleaning it out with tank cleaner. Then I cleaned and painted the tank black. Finally. replaced all the hoses and filters from the tank all the way to the carbs.

Then it dawned on me! Why not go ahead and eliminate the all the unnecessary vent lines while I'm at it? They were all kinked anyways! So I JB welded the driver's side vent port at the bottom of the tank. Eliminated the vent box thing inside the passenger compartment. Hooked the front vent port strait to the line running to the engine compartment (charcoal canister). Then stuffed a spring about 1 1/2 feet long into the old 3/8" vent line to prevent it from collapsing again and rerouted that to vent into the filler neck. (if anyone is interested in this, let me know. i will post the "how to")

So I installed everything again and it fixed NOTHING! So now, still on my fuel fix, thought it had to be A) the fuel pump or B) the carbs. The PO didn’t have the mechanical fuel pump hooked up so I'm thinking that the carbs are not getting enough fuel due to lack of pressure. So I hooked up the mechanical fuel pump to find out what would happen and it started spraying gas everywhere! So I thought to myself, I’m not going to use that anytime soon. That leaves only B) the carbs. I check those, had a friend who is hard-core on carbs look at them and didn’t find anything obvious. He suggested trouble shooting anything else before pulling them.

So what then? What could it possibly be? I searched and searched both here and hybridz.org looking for an answer. When I finally came across a post with the same symptoms as me! But the solution to this post was the distributor. Cant be my problem, I thought. I just replaced the old points with the 280zx dizzy with the new ignition module and it ran great for about a month.

Well, I broke down and decided what the hell, I will replace the dizzy and the E12-80 with a new "used" one and find out what happened. Can anyone guess????????

IT FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!! All that messing with the fuel tank and lines (god I hate fuel lines!!) and it was not even the problem. ohh well, at least the gas tank is clean! LOL

So if your car dies at lights or stops and if you let it sit for a minute and it starts up like nothing has happened, I suggest checking that if you have a 280zx dizzy with the E12-80.

Thanks for the help like always guys! I’m sure I will have more problems in the future. It’s nice to know where to go for the experts, Zcar.com & Hybridz.org!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I broke down and decided what the hell, I will replace the dizzy and the E12-80 with a new "used" one and find out what happened. Can anyone guess????????

IT FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!! All that messing with the fuel tank and lines (god I hate fuel lines!!) and it was not even the problem. ohh well, at least the gas tank is clean! LOL

So if your car dies at lights or stops and if you let it sit for a minute and it starts up like nothing has happened, I suggest checking that if you have a 280zx dizzy with the E12-80.

See post #18

I don't think its from your fuel float. I pulled mine, both the 240 and 280, and they don't have anything that looks like that spring. However, I found all sorts of garbage in my tank: nails and a yellow plastic cup with a leader. That turned out to be the yellow cap off of a small plastic gas can. Lots and things can find their way down the gas inlet pipe... after all it is huge.

g