HybridZ

Fuel Cell type and material

LLave

First, Im not sure that this is the right forum to post in so mods feel free to place it correctly.

I have been looking around at different fuel cells and I see people using steel, aluminum and plastic cells in their cars. My question is, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Here is the cell I am about one click away from ordering, anything wrong with it?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D291215%2DSD&N=700+4294839036+400304+4294920243+4294908350+115&autoview=sku

Guest TeamNissan

It looks good to me so long as your not going to depend on the sender they provide. The stock z fuel gauge runs 90 ohms Empty and 8 ohms Full I believe and that one is 0 ohms empty, 90 ohms full ohms.

I think plastic, foam filled self sealing tanks are the best. Steal is a lil heavy, alum is light but certain fuels eat at it, plastic seems to be perfect.

Thats just my opinion though.

Nice for the price. My only question is, does it have a bladder? Didn't say. I don't think it does. Said it had foam. What are you going to use the car for? The plastic ones are more for drag racing. They are cheaper and light. They improve weight and fuel delivery, and are made to operate in an envioronment where you are rarely crashed into by another vehicle. Most metal ones are an enclosure for a bladder. These are required for most door to door racing, like road racing, where the chance of somebody hitting you is much greater. That one looks like a cross between the two styles. Just an aluminum tank. Check the rule book if you intend to race. For the street it would work. Most sanction bodies require a metal bulkhead between the driver and cell. In a Zcar, that means a hinged cover over it in the hatch area.

That's the same cell I'm using in my 240. There's some pics in the album linked to in my signature showing how it was installed. It doesn't have a bladder, but does have baffles/foam, as mentioned above. If I had it to do over again, I would mount mine lower and probably go with a 10 gallon cell. The 15 gallon cell takes up a good bit of space.

I have an Autometer Phantom fuel level gauge that's supposed to match with the sending unit that comes with the cell, but found it to be off.

Nice for the price. My only question is, does it have a bladder? Didn't say. I don't think it does. Said it had foam. What are you going to use the car for? The plastic ones are more for drag racing. They are cheaper and light. They improve weight and fuel delivery, and are made to operate in an envioronment where you are rarely crashed into by another vehicle. Most metal ones are an enclosure for a bladder. These are required for most door to door racing, like road racing, where the chance of somebody hitting you is much greater. That one looks like a cross between the two styles. Just an aluminum tank. Check the rule book if you intend to race. For the street it would work. Most sanction bodies require a metal bulkhead between the driver and cell. In a Zcar, that means a hinged cover over it in the hatch area.

Well I would like to autocross the car as well as take to to some of the local track events. So I would like it to be SCCA legal. I am not sure what the SCCA requirements are, I will have to look into that.

If I do need to go steel, maybe something like this would work:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D290112&N=700+4294839036+400304+115&autoview=sku

That's the same cell I'm using in my 240. There's some pics in the album linked to in my signature showing how it was installed. It doesn't have a bladder, but does have baffles/foam, as mentioned above. If I had it to do over again, I would mount mine lower and probably go with a 10 gallon cell. The 15 gallon cell takes up a good bit of space.

I have an Autometer Phantom fuel level gauge that's supposed to match with the sending unit that comes with the cell, but found it to be off.

Other than being a bit high and large you are happy with the cell? Have you had it in there long? Also, a bit unrelated but how do you like the borlas?

Other than being a bit high and large you are happy with the cell? Have you had it in there long? Also, a bit unrelated but how do you like the borlas?

Yeah, overall I'm happy with the cell. I've had it in the car for a little over 2 years. I actually like the 15 gallon capacity and probably could have cut the mounting brackets off the cell to make the fuel cell enclosure just a little smaller.

And I love the borlas:)

Does anyone know where I can find out what the scca requires for fuel tank material? All I could find was that they require all parts of the fuel system to be outside the drivers compartment. Maybe that is it?

This is the closest I could find. http://www.scca.com/Club/Index.asp?IdS=0FC065-823FBE0&x=030|057&~=

"9.3.26. FUEL CELL SPECIFICATIONS

All cars must be equipped with a safety fuel cell complying with these

specifications, except for Showroom Stock, Touring, Spec Miata, and

Improved Touring. All safety fuel cells shall be constructed and certified in

accordance with the FIA FT-3 or higher (FT-3.5, FT-5, etc.) specifications.

All safety fuel cells shall consist of a foam-filled fuel bladder enclosed in

a metal container at minimum. "

Thanks I appreciate you taking the time to look that up. That is what I had found as well. I assume that means the fuel cell its self could be made of any material as long as it is shielded from the driver compartment with a steel firewall.