HybridZ

is there such a thing

rdsk8ter

ok I am going to rant a little bit i hope you all understand venting and whatnot needs to have oppinions to it. Lately i have been trying to do multiple projects at once. Bay window my car and some projects around the house. all while trying to raise money for the march of dimes spending 3-4 hours a day at the gym(trying to vent the frustration) and working 7-8 hours a day. all trying to better my life and the lifes of my family and friends. Now the old lady and some of my friends are saying i have to many projects can this happen? also how can i keep from snapping with all these people doubting that i can do this crap? has anyone here been in this situation? if so how did you handle it? and what can i do to prove to them that when i set my mind to it it happens? thanks for your time

Guest TeamNissan

I used to be like that a few years ago, idk friends anf fam are always just trying to help. At the same time though you have to put yourself in thier shoes, watching you go ape ♥♥♥♥ running around all the time. I think it can happen, wether its healthy or not Idk. After I was medicaly forced to slow my life down I find its better to hit one project at a time full on rather then jump around. When you jump around you cant stop to enjoy it and often you will find yourself doing a haphazard job since you mind is never 100% on it. Easier said then done I know but maybe for the sake of argument you should try lol, just to see.

Set goals on paper and write them down with dates of completion and stuff. This gives a concerned wife a picture that this busy season you are in will taper off and eventually end. Make weekly, monthly, yearly, 5 year, and 10 year goals--write it all down of what you plan to accomplish from the mundane (like the house) to the sublime (like your car :mrgreen:). Family, house, career, etc, all is game. Presently, however, only you can measure how busy you are for your state of mental and physical health. For anyone outside of your immediate family to negatively comment is out of place because it's not their life. As long as you are not neglecting family time, no one should say squat. Be a man and do what ya gotta do.

Davy

I think that Davy has some good advise here. And yes you can have to many projects at once. I only say this from the other persons point of view. Most people like to start a project and finish it. That's what we're all taught in school. As we get older and the ability to do whatever we want comes open we loosen up on that and start a few things that we are intreasted in and then it happens "too many projects." When I get to that point I try to step back and finish he things I can get done quickly or are on the top of the honey do list first and then go back to my personal stuff.

It's funny I had several projects that were small and not real time consumming task that were driving my wife crazy because they were unfinished. Persoanlly I didn't put much weight into the project because it was small. After talking to her and actually listening I found out she really wanted these things finished and didn't really care how much time I spent on the car after that. So basically sometimes you have to take a step back and work on some other things so you'll have time to do the things you want to do.

Stand your ground and keep going. If you really want to do all the things you're doing, you WILL complete them, it time. Besides, nothing really worth doing or havig is EVER easy. Don't get frustrated, that's the key. I've done lots of things that people said I couldn't, or I'd never complete..

I built a V8 rx7 when I was 19 with no air tools or welder (evryone said I was crazy) in my moms garage, I put my Z back together in a portable garage in the back yard (through the rainy fall and the cold winter, again... I was called crazy) And as time goes buy, I just get MORE 'busy'....

I bought a house (by myself) and am renovating it on a $16/hour job with NO line of credit and re-used/clearence sale stuff.. (cheep cheep!!) at the same time, I'm trying to help my Mom fix up her house so she can sell it (and look at other houses with her) , I'm helping my buddy with his truck, his girlfriends car, and yesterday drove 4 hours to pick up his grandfathers house contents in a cube van (hes in an old age home now) and 4 hours back to UNLOAD, and I'm thinking about the next car project too!! And yes, I work 8-10 hours 5-6 days a week, and I have people tell me all the time 'You have too much stuff on the go... you're trying to do too much... BAH!!! I take that negative 'energy' and USE it to keep me going. It's the ability to say "I told you so" at the end of it.. even if you don't say it out loud, YOU will know.

You sound a LOT like me... maybe you don't know it yet though. I've realized I will ALWAYS be 'busy' with many things, it's just the way I am. If I woke up tomorrow and had NOTHING on the go, and NO project to work on, I'd be totaly lost... and I'd go find something to build, or fix, or help someone with.

EDIT: Forgot to add, that you DO have to keep an open mind on some things...basicaly work out the logistics and schedual things carefully, if even in your own head, to keep immidiate family happy.. for the sake of the wife/girl and family. Anyone else that has a problem can bugger off and get out of your life. I know people like that, and I try not to hang around them too much. I guess my situation is a little diffrent, as my girlfriend doesn't live with me, so I don't have as much of a 'honney do list' on a day to day basis..

ok I am going to rant a little ... venting and whatnot ... (trying to vent the frustration) ... how can i keep from snapping ... what can i do to prove to them that when i set my mind to it it happens

There's a lot of frustration in your post, frustration that you wouldnt normally see from a relaxed, well adjusted person.

The people that are close to you are trying to tell you that you have too many projects, do you think they are doing this to hurt your feelings or to put you down ? The answer is probably 'no', they are doing it out of concern for you. You should look at what they are saying without trying to defend yourself from them, try to analyze their points carefully without resorting to "...yeah but you dont know what I can do" or similar defensive arguments. They have a unique view of you that you cant see.

In the last three months, how many projects have you finished ? How many new ones have you taken on ? Do you ever hire anyone to do any work for you ? Why not ?

Promise yourself not to take on one more project before you complete two others. When you find yourself saying "I can squeze this small one in" or "this will only take me a day or two" to justify doing more, then you probably are doing too much. Also, if you think the whole idea of not taking on any more projects is a stupid idea, they could be right

Take two notepads, in the first one write down all of the projects you are currently working on or in the middle of, or havent yet finished. In the other write down all of the other projects you are planning, or need to do, but havent yet started. Next take this to somebody that is concerned for you and knows something about the projects, and have them write down what they think are realistic time estimates for one person to do/finish the job. Odd's are one of two things will happen, either you'll be amazed at how much time you have to devote to your projects, or you'll argue with how unreasonable their estimates are. Keep these notebooks up to date as you finish or start new projects.

I've got too many projects myself, and have only lately begun to realize it. Good luck.

Most of my projects arnt completed due to financial reasons but if I had the money I would have them done. Im an electrician so Im always coming accross cool things for free. I think I will do the notepad thing Ive got a list but no dates of completions. As far as how many iteams Ive completed in the last three months the anwser is none most of my projects are out doors and with all the snow we have had I have had no choice but to wait it out. Thanks alot guys I really appreciate it and I find that I am very bull headed and dont like to be told I cant do it. I am very much more relaxed but when I got my best friend and my old lady making fun of me and saying how Ill never get my list done(due to lack of motivation) and what not yea i tend to get upset. Again thanks alot guys :-D

I work full time, sometimes over time. Goto school full time. And still manage to have weekends off, I use that time to get my personal stuff done, like working on my own cars, and fixing my own things. And I still manage to come across the time to build my motor. It will eventually pay off, and when it does, it will be so much better to think that you busted your butt and had long sleepless nights, and you can stand back and look at your results.

Welcome the wonderful world of ADD. Getting a project 95% done in a day, then completing it 4 months later is par for the course. Projects B, C, D, and so on are suddenly more important than its predecessor...

Also, I agree with Joey, after 1-1.5 hours, you're not gaining anything.

rdsk8ter, man I know all about it.... Im working anywhere from 14 to 27 hrs a day... yes 27...Union jobs can suck like that, so much to do.. so little time... everyones always p-d off at you, "why dont you kick it with us anymore" or "youve changed man".. I feel ya man..lol

But you gotta do what ya gotta do to get to where ya wanna be man... we've all set goals in our heads of what we wanna do and come hell or high water, its gonna get done--lol

If you have too many projects, and there is very little progress, then you should probably focus on just one or two. HOWEVER, if you have "too many" projects and they all show GOOD PROGRESS, then why not? Who knows? Maybe you are one of those rare people, the kind that has a lot of energy and a lot of heart. Just don't tire yourself out, your body is more vulnerable than you think.

ok almost got one more thing scratched off the list the awning is up just got to put some shingles on and the gutter and im good to go. but then i got all the stuff to do like lights and what not but thats super easy being a sparky and all itll take me no time