HybridZ

wiring problems ..please help!!!

Well my dad attempted to start the 385 z

today but ran into some snags.As soon as he

put the neg cable to the battery the car

motor would try and crank over without the

ignition turned on.He is running a electric

fuel pump and did what the jtr manuel says

to do.He has a 75 280.Any pics on how you wired yours would be a great help to him.

If anyone with any knowledge on this could

call him that would be thr best.Needless to

say he is very frustrated now and in need

of help.So any Hybred guys want to help my

dad would be great.His number is 209-951-9314.His name is Arnold.Thanks alot!

Dont be frustrated! Both of you have already completed the hardest part...that being the conversion.

Now all that is left is....the gremlins. Everyone has to shake the gremlins out & tighten this; change that after a major build. A conversion is no different.

I'm sure he/you will figure it out or someone in your area will also assist.

Go over your wiring schematic of the Stock wiring & recheck your wires you cut/spliced into while doing the conversion.

Dont get in a hurry; take your time & you may have to rechech your rechecks but you will figure it out & when you do...both of you will look at each other & say, "Is that all that was wrong?" Believe me, the problem is right there probably staring you in the face. Once you've figured it out then you can address the next hurdle.

Dont get frustrated....we're all on a learning curve. Once you do figure it out-let us know; everyone of us here appreciates learning from someone else's "Adventure" in the automotive world.

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

This can be a bit tricky, using a Ford Solenoid and a oil pressure switch for the fuel pump. Sneak circuits creep up easily.

Page 13-2 (in my 7th edition of the JTR) describes a problem when wiring the oil pressure switch, fuel pump, starter, ignition, etc. The note is to not connect the wire that operates the starter solenoid to the the fuel pump power.

When I wired the Ford remote starter "solenoid" (I hate that term - its just a contactor, not a mechanical solenoid!) I used the black w/ yellow stripe wire that went to the OE starter to the left small terminal on the solenoid. Then a big battery cable goes to the usual battery cable stud on the starter, and a short connection to the starter solenoid.

I think there is more than one black w/ yellow stripe wire in the harness (not sure) but you might want to check that! The other one may always be hot, and that wouldn't work.

Hope this helps,

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Umm Pete - I think it is a solenoid. When I had starting problems in the Mustang once I had occasion to pull one apart. It had gotten a hairline crack in it allowing what looked like a piston to get light rust on it and sieze up when cold. It would jump start fine with the added amps from another battery but couldn't start on it's own. Guts looked like a giant electromagnetcoil with a ferrous core that appeared to slide up and down inside... smile.gif

BLKMGK, sorry, I just like to keep to the definition of a solenoid being something that has electricity as the input and mechanical force/movement as the output. A contactor or relay has output as being an electrical switch. Just my opinion. I know, I've got issues wink.gif.

I thought the wiring was the hardest part. Mines a 75 too, I had painfully frustrating problems with heat soak. I'd order the Summit remote solenoid and start over on the starter wiring. It'll be worth it living in sunny Cali. My car's in storage, or I'd look it over. I remember the color labels in JTR not being 100% accurate on some wires. So you might have to rely on your trouble shooting skills.

Very glad to hear you got it running. Definately let us know what the problem was.

I'ld kind of like to know how badly the problem was staring at you all this time/anyway that's usually how it is for me.

I Pull my hair out/call the car some nice names & after I check/recheck/recheck my rechecks it usually turns out to be something "Right There" staring at me & making faces at me & usually something simple....I hate it when a gremlin does that to me.

What's good about figuring something out is it rarely will get the best of ya the second time around!

Let us know what it was!!!!

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

Turns out that when my dad removed the clutch

pedal(went 700r4) he left 2 wires unhooked

that he had to undo to get the pedal out.

He said that he didnt stick his head under

the dash far enough to see the unplugged

wires.So when he plugged the wires togrther

,Wala...everything works.