HybridZ

How much fuel is not enough fuel?

So I was on the last leg of my trip back from California and I was trying to avoid filling up a 3rd time. This last bit of my trip is very windy mountain roads for many many miles. I noticed that I was losing power. At first I thought it was just around 4000 RPM, but I'm pretty sure I narrowed it down to the turning. I guess my gasoline was sloshing around to the sides of the tank and not getting to the hose in the center. But my gauge said I had somewhere around 1/8th of a tank.

Is that not enough to take serious turns with? Is there some other problem I'm not thinking of?

I don't mean to point out the obvious, but the oxygen contain is less at high altitudes and pressure is less so cylinders don't get packed as full. Generally speaking the higher in the mountains you go the less power the engine makes.

Does sound like you just let the tank get a little to empty for spirited cornering though, especialy if your car is fuel injected.

I'm aware that horsepower is a function of mass flow rate, but it's unrelated to my problem.

I think it may be my fuel pump because it was happening again today for a little while with a full tank. Plus now my pump is making a high pitched whine noise.

I have all the parts for my turbo conversion but I just haven't done it yet. Will my turbo fuel pump work with my NA motor if I end up having to get a new pump?

Nobody knows if you can use a turbo pump with a na engine?

Hey RedFive,

If you simply look it up in a catalog like MSA or Black Dragon, you'll see that they are different parts. MSA catalog says NA is ~$200 and turbo is ~$250. I assume the turbo has a higher flow rate. I'm just guessing that the turbo one will work just fine, it will return the extra fuel to the tank.

Laterz, -Hugh

Do you have a 240z fuel tank and are running efi? If so that's your fuel slosh problem.

Yes you can use a turbo fuel pump on an n/a motor as long as it is efi. If you are going turbo and need a bigger pump, get an external Walbro. Much cheaper than the mSA pump and will have enough volume for 500+rwhp.