HybridZ

Downpipe options?

christoc

So I've been looking around and not finding much for answers.

Is my best bet for a downpipe to have one custom made?

Any other quick options? I'm hoping to (but not likely) get to the point where I can try to start my motor this weekend, but I don't have any downpipe. Anyone know of anything I can purchase at a store for testing? Eventually I'll do something custom, but right now I'm just trying to get by and prove the motor works before I go too far into purchasing go fast bits.

I've got an 83 l28et that I've already put into my 73 240, but still have a LOT (read all) of wiring to do for the Megasquirt before I can actually attempt to start the motor.

yes and yes.

a turbo running open .. will dump the air directly into the firewall.. keep in mind.. brake lines?! brake master cylinder and booster?!

at least a pipe to direct the hot exhuast gases which could be still igniting if the timing is retarted OUT of the engine bay is a smart choice.

If you need a stock downpipe I have 2. let me know.

I have a 280zxt and a 300zxt that both fit a T3 turbo.

I believe I do need a stock one for now. My dad is going to check around town tomorrow to see what he can find. Rather than buying a high dollar one for now I'll try to find a stock one to use while I get things up and running.

Thanks for your help, if I need to buy a pipe from you I'll try to shoot you a PM tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I ended up ordering what I thought was one from autopartswarehouse . com but it ended up being off a non-turbo car.... I'm getting an RMA from them, they don't end up having anything for the turbo cars. If you still have one I'd like to buy one off you. I'll PM you as well

Chris

FYI: The stock ZXT turbine outlet casting and the stock headpipe, cut juuuust before the catalyst will mate up perfectly with the MSA 2.5" mandrel-bent exhaust system they sell for the early S30's. You have to trim one pipe in the kit with a hacksaw depending on where you cut the ZXT headpipe, but it's very close and the pipe diameter is the same. A slight reindexing of the headpipe towards the center of the car helps with packaging as well.

For $149 you will have a nice mandrel bent exhaust that will serve you well in lower horsepower levels, and if you ever decide to upsize, you have an almost perfect 3" template for your upgrade.

There are things you can do to make it fit up tighter under the body in back such as grinding the R200 machining flange off as well, but that's not for discussion here, now, anyway.

Makes for a quick install on someone doing a weekend conversion who doesn't have access to a welder or exhaust shop within 'open header driving distance'....

For a 2+2, just add a section of 2.5" piping from the local Pep-Boys or Canadian Tire (hey, how continentially inclusive, EH?) and you're set!