HybridZ

MS150 road bike build up

olie05

Hi everyone!

In a few weeks I will be riding in the MS150 bike tour. For those who don't know, the MS150 is a bike ride from Houston to Austin (150 miles) to benefit people who suffer from Multiple sclerosis. Each rider has to raise $400 to participate in the event, and i think it would be great if I had the support of my fellow hybridz-ers.

Here is the link to donate:

http://ms150.org/ms150/donate/donate.cfm?id=197818

The MS150 organizers run the website, and they keep track of who has raised how much, and this way you know where the money is going.

On to the fun stuff...

I have been building a bike for the tour... It just so happens that everything on the bike is aluminum.

Here are the specs:

Aluminum 54cm frame (6061)

Aluminum 1" threaded Fork (converted to threadless)

Aluminum 44cm handlebars

Aluminum 700c wheels (Trek front, Mavic Rear)

Aluminum Seatpost

Shimano derailleurs

9 speed rear cassette, 2 front chainrings... 18speeds!

Aluminum Crankset from my old nishiki

Aluminum modolo speedy brakes

Enjoy the pics!

DSCF0926(Small).JPG

DSCF0928(Small).JPG

DSCF0933(Small).JPG

DSCF0935(Small).JPG

DSC02212(Small).JPG

DSC02214(Small).JPG

DSC02215(Small).JPG

DSC02216(Small).JPG

DSC02217(Small).JPG

DSC02218(Small).JPG

DSC02219(Small).JPG

DSC02210(Small).JPG

If you like what you see don't forget to donate to the cause!

http://ms150.org/ms150/donate/donate.cfm?id=197818

I'm still thinking about what to do with the frame. Polishing it is definitely the first idea. I'm going to ride it around until after summer, when I can dismantle it, clean it, and decide what to do with the frame. I wonder if I could have it powdercoated... that would be cool too maybe a clearcoat. who knows.

I appreciate any donations, and I hope your mother is not fully diagnosed.

-Oliver

if you are going to use the old school friction shifters, you will be ok. mixing the old derailer and the newer 9sp cassette. if you are going to use index shifters, it will not work. the throw of the rear derailer is the wrong size and the paralleagram is at the wrong angle. i dought that you are useing index shifter though seeing the old modolo brakes. i remember coming down some big passes in colorado and trying to stop. ok for the time.

throw some cork tape on the bars and you should be good to go.

done several ms 150's in my day.

jimbo

edit: looked at the photo again. no shifter bosses on the down tube. you will have to use bar end shifters but set them on the friction setting and not the index.

have fun

well, i could switch out the rear derailleur... perhaps to one that matches whatever shifters i get... We will have to see. I'm going to be figuring all that stuff out tomorrow. I really wanted integrated shifters, since as you mentioned I have no bosses for downtube shifters. Also, since the frame has oversize tubing, i can't use a clamp style mounting bracket for shifters.

I'll keep this thread updated with what I end up doing.

Thanks for the comments Jimbo!

-Oliver

olie, i would just buy the sti shifters/ brakes and the rear derailer. the shimano 105 style should do just fine for what you are doing. i wouldn't go any more unless you are going to get more serious. i ran through a lot of groups in my many years of racing. the ultergra did ok for what i did to it. the dura ace is much better but that is WAY more money and probably more than what you need to go out and do the ms150.

have fun and get out of the shorts asap and cover up with warm up pants after you are done with the ride. ;)

fyi, my breakfast menu for hard days was a cold can of spagetti'os. sounds absolutly horible, and it is, but if yar are going to vomit on a climb, the spagetti'os maintain their smooth consistancy when coming back up. much easier than pancakes. :puke: andrew miller of the old saturn team turned me on to it when we were team mates.

jimbo

• 3 weeks later...

OK, now that you have the bike together, take it and yourself to a bike shop that knows how to set it up for you. In other words, adjustments made to the bike so it accommodates you correctly for pedaling efficiency and proper riding position. No use in putting your knees through hell!

looks good. get some good cork tape on there and definitly get fitted correctly. it looks like the shifter housing out of the sti levers is about 1.5-2" too long. you could cut the housing and get a little better shifting out of it. also the rear brake housing looks like it is tangled up with the rear shifter housing. may be just the angle of the picture. next, put in hours in the saddle. the most i did in one day was 175 mi. actually did it back to back and was worthless for about a week. i rode well on 400-450 miles a week. fast road races under 4.5 hours were not a problem, when they got over that i had troubles. you can alway find a "race" in a MS150:coollook:

jimbo

I have some decent biking gloves i've been using. I'm holding off on the bar tape until I can get ahold of a 90mm front stem. I've put in about 20-30miles a day on the machine for the past 3 days. No time to take it to a shop, but I have been setting it up myself, fine tuning and adjusting EVRYTHING. I'm trying to get my riding position just right and getting comfortable on the saddle for long distances.

ah yes, the saddles. i had about 8 different saddles that i tried before i found the one that fit. everyone is different. my last bike was custom made with my geometry that i likes and the lengths that i needed. amazing machine. different stem lengths help too. i never wore gloves, just keep a loose hold of the bars and change hand position often. i guess i was lucky, i could stay in the drops for hours. when i first started riding, i remember doing a 30 mile loop every day. miles are an ok indicator for training, but you butt and legs do not know distance. they know TIME. 30 mile might equal 1:30 one day and over 2 hours the next. i have spent over 6 hours doing a hilly 100 mile road race in colorado and the next weekend spend just over 3 hours at the hotter than hell raod race in texas. hours in the saddle. keep a training diary. monitor your heart rate when you wake up. keep track of the ride that you did, conditions and mental mood. given some time, this is a great indicator of your fitness. i never used a heart rate monitor but knew tons of people that did. for me it was just another piece of hardware on my bars that told me what i already knew.

get out there and have fun.

jimbo