HybridZ

cowl hood

HICKL

Anybody attempted buying one of these generic fiberglass cowls and fit them to the datsun hood? I'm not afraid of the fiberglass work, just want the cowl to look like ir belongs on there. There are a ton of the cowls on ebay for $50 to $60 bucks.

I think the only problem with doing something like that is the same problem I had when having my "SS" hood made. When you bond the fiberglass to the steel hood, you're eventually going to have some shadowing around those edges. When my hood was first done, it looked immaculate........6 months later, the shadowing started to show.

I think the only problem with doing something like that is the same problem I had when having my "SS" hood made. When you bond the fiberglass to the steel hood, you're eventually going to have some shadowing around those edges. When my hood was first done, it looked immaculate........6 months later, the shadowing started to show.

what do you mean by shadowing? any pics ?

yup i did this is after the first fitment now it is all blended in, it is a beta motorsport hood, so they are out there for a s30 .. it is easy as long as you use the right stuff ( glass and minimal bondo, or use special bondo to do it.)

cowl_hybrid.jpg

what do you mean by shadowing? any pics ?

This first pic is from a little distance, so you won't see much.

0208_035.jpg

This second pic you can see what I'm talking about, mind you this is the only pic of the shadowing I have but it goes all the way around the sides of the scoop as well.

0208_038.jpg

Like 280Zone said, his hood is a good option. It's a single piece and you won't have the issues of the shadowing like I did. Or, I'm assuming that you can get great results if you bond fiberglass to fiberglass, as opposed to bonding a fiberglass piece to the factory steel hood. Just my .02

I disagree, the different temps/speeds at which each material heats and cools is what causes this. Hell, I might be wrong, but that was just what I figured. Maybe and actual "body man" can chime in.

Like I said, when it was finished it was perfect, the shadowing only showed up after numerous heating and cooling cycles.