HybridZ

Any 700 r4 experts out there?

I have another project, a 55 1/2 chevy truck ground up restore. Anyway, I have a freshly rebuilt 700r4 (older, non-electronic) trans in it but don't know anything about it. How does the cable, (TV Cable I think its called) work and what do I need to do with the little plug on the back that looks like it should have 4 wires going to it.

Now you guys know why I put a 5 speed in my Z. I'm auto ignorant!

Can someone answer this, I have this truck running, I don't have the TV cable or any electronics hooked up, when I put it into drive or reverse, even at low idle, it is trying to roll and bogging down the motor if I stand on the brake. Could the position of the throttle valve be causing this? It is a freshly rebuilt trans that has zero miles on it. I know not to drive it far without the TV cable being hooked up, but at this point, I am just interested in moving it around the yard.

Thanks

Jeff

You have to have the tv cable set right or it will not work .. also it will not work very long .. as for the wires ya don't need them mine are not hooked up and i am going on 2 years now .. but i did contact bowtieoverdrives in Hesperia california and get the right tv cable and bracket for the carb set up i am running... ya might want to look into that ..

The wire plug just goes to the torque converter lock-up... thing. If you wire it like the BTO one, the converter locks when in 4th gear and unlocks when the brakes are pushed. Locking the tq converter helps keep temps down in the tranny and marginal MPG improvement. By and large, the TV cable is the most important aspect of the transmission as far as set-up goes.

If you have the engine set to a strong idle (not on the verge of dying all the time), I'd guess that you have a bad/stuck torque converter control valve. It is ordinarily energized by those wires you have not yet hooked up.

If the converter is locked the vehicle acts like a standard transmission which has been left in gear (except it will start more easily because it takes engine RPM to activate the clutches). Once the vehicle is started, off you go.

When you step on the brakes, you cause something to slip (torque converter clutch/ tranny clutch pack(s) and/or kill the engine.

The TCC valve isn't hard to change, but it does involve dropping the pan.

Wiring it up is a good idea (to keep from overheating the tranny), and correct TV cable hookup is mandatory.

<>

I got ahold of a bad torque converter once for a Chrysler 727. It whined a little like a low fluid power steering pump, as it chewed itself into little shavings.

I don't know enough about the converter clutch to say whether or not a failure mode could cause the symptoms you are seeing. I do know that it is locked hydraulically by the TCC valve; they aren't all that expensive, and a lot easier to change than the converter.

(If someone is telling you the converter is bad, I'd ask that person to explain why/how it is locking/locked).

<>

If the TV cable is not connected at the engine end but pulled out "has tension on the cable" this would increase all the fluid pressures in the trans and may be the problem, disconnect the tv cable at the trans if it's connected. As mentioned you will kill that trans without a properly adj. TV cable when running on the street.

Ive checked and the TV valve is not pulled. I actually have a caple hooked to it, the carb end is broke, but I can push and pull the valve with the cable. If I pull on it, it makes the problem worse as you would expect.