HybridZ

280zcar's 78 280z LS1/T56

Done with everything to do with fuel system except wiring the fuel pump.

Hatch and taillights put back on as well.

Seam sealed and painted.

IMAG0969.jpg

IMAG0972.jpg

IMAG0970.jpg

IMAG0973.jpg

IMAG0968.jpg

Starting to look like a car again... need to get flip down license plate bracket still

IMAG0976.jpg

IMAG0968.jpg

Haven't done much with the engine bay.. going to try and get it mostly finished up this week and then hopefully to my friend to paint it in the next week or two. While its off to paint, I'm going to bring in the donor vehicle and yank the engine and trans out of it.

IMAG0975.jpg

Edited by 280zcar

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wet sanding.

found a couple small things that i need to touch u,p but all-in-all it looks pretty decent so far.

Scheduled to get it in my friends booth early next week and while its there I'll bring in the donor and pull the engine/trans.

IMAG1015.jpg

IMAG1016.jpg

Bringing the Z back from paint.

IMAG1056.jpgIMAG1057.jpg

Pushed it up in to the garage.

IMAG1058.jpg

IMAG1059.jpg

Engine in new home. Working on getting some stuff mocked. Found out i need to slot the holes for the mounts a little more...

IMAG1067.jpgIMAG1069.jpg

I'll have to borrow a camera to get some better pics sometime... my cell camera is lacking.

Engine going back in after bolting up transmission

IMAG1079.jpg

Shifter placement couldn't have been better. This was kind of lucky since i never mocked up the engine with my mounts with a t56.

IMAG1081.jpg

Alternator mounted and clearance looks good.

IMAG1083.jpg

Bolted radiator in. Upper hose is going to be close. Might just try and chop up f-body hose and splice it.

IMAG1084.jpg

Lower hose fits perfectly

IMAG1085.jpg

overview

IMAG1086.jpg

Thanks, Me too....

JTR Intake piping done. Just need filter and a couple more clamps.

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

PCM mounted.

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

Fuse block mounted up on the pedal box.

IMG_3409.jpg

Passenger manifold mocked up. Needs to be full welded still. Bascially just chopped off the flange and welded on an extension. Waiting for drivers manifold to ship in... its going to get some similar cutting done. Already made new passenger front brake line that will go along the top to the frame rail. Rear brake line will just be bent out of the way of the exhaust

IMAG1090.jpg

IMAG1089.jpg

Edited by 280zcar

Chassis wiring reconnected

IMG_3442.jpg

New brake line bent

IMG_3419.jpg

New front fender. It needs a little bit of body work, but virtually no rust.

IMG_3417.jpg

Fan wiring done. ECM will control the Taurus fan with this Volvo

IMG_3448.jpg

seam sealer

IMG_3421.jpg

Starter and alternator wiring are done.Still working on where I am going to mount battery. Cable to the left is just for hooking to battery to test things.

IMG_3443.jpg

Drive shaft is in.

IMG_3453.jpg

Heater lines blocked off.

IMG_3455.jpg

Drilled new hole on throttle bracket so the cable has a straighter shot at the throttle

IMG_3445.jpg

Rubber shift boot installed

IMG_3446.jpg

Dash is back in.

IMG_3447.jpg

Driver's brake reinstalled

IMG_3432.jpg

Upper Radiator hose

IMG_3425.jpg

Steam vent routed to water pump

IMG_3422.jpg

Edited by 280zcar

Kevin, I initially was rigging something up with a small agm in the passenger footwell against the firewall, but didn't like it and placed a full size agm battery behind passenger seat in front of toolbox. The passenger seat does not slide all the way back, but far enough to give ok legroom for me and I'm about 5"11. It took about 8-9 ft of battery cable, but it works. Battery is inside the cabin, but it's a sealed agm for now so I think it should be okay. I'm not at any sanctioned track events yet.

Kevin, I initially was rigging something up with a small agm in the passenger footwell against the firewall, but didn't like it and placed a full size agm battery behind passenger seat in front of toolbox. The passenger seat does not slide all the way back, but far enough to give ok legroom for me and I'm about 5"11. It took about 8-9 ft of battery cable, but it works. Battery is inside the cabin, but it's a sealed agm for now so I think it should be okay. I'm not at any sanctioned track events yet.

I just ordered a Odyssey pc680 and going to likely mount it exactly like you, behind the passenger seat... or possibly underneath it, if it'll fit. I've heard mixed reviews about the PC680, but figured i'd give it a shot anyways.

odysseypc680.jpg

Driver's manifold modified. I originally did the passenger side in 2.25" but this is 2.5" with a ball and socket flange. I'm going to pull out the passenger side and re-do it. It'll be a tight fit, but I should be able to get it fitted. may just get a v-band flange for the other side actually. Need to order up bends for the rest of the exhaust and also need to get welding gas, I ran out. going to get these ceramic coated when I get a chance too.

img3488w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First time in 21 months that the car has moved under its own power.....

washed it and drove it around the block today.

ordered mandrel bends for exhaust the other day. Also ordered MGW shifter because I don't trust the shifter that is in there (saw the current shifter on ebay for $30 shipped... new)

IMAG1139.jpg

well as you'll see in this post... I decided to tackle the exhaust myself.

Bought a chop saw around 8 tonight....

IMAG1153.jpg

Exhaust bends came in today and got straight to work.

Started on the front section of the exhaust....

IMAG1147.jpg

at the y-pipe... need to cut the passenger side pipe down a couple inches and then squeeze a bend in there to get it to the y-pipe.

IMAG1151.jpg

I'll hopefully have everything up to the y-pipe finished tomorrow and then i'll finish out the back half.

Front section finished.

IMAG1155.jpg

Just need to pull it back down to finish welding the rear section in place...

IMAG1158.jpg

IMAG1159.jpg

IMAG1160.jpg

The rear section is only tacked in place, so there are definitely leaks but here's a quick vid. Mind you its a bone stock ls1... not that exciting sounding..

bad quality video...

th_VIDEO0065.jpg

Edited by 280zcar