HybridZ

280zcar's 78 280z LS1/T56

Had no idea you had that level of rust in the battery area Kevin. Look EXACTLY like my Z did in the before pictures. Difference being I didn't have the nuts to weld it myself. Single most expensive thing besides the car purchase so far was getting that area repaired, but it looks stock! Sorry to hear you've been going through all this instead of driving. I should be out at cars and coffee this coming weekend, just not with the Z yet. The repairs look really good, and I like the idea of the bulkhead connectors. Keep the posts coming man!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had no idea you had that level of rust in the battery area Kevin. Look EXACTLY like my Z did in the before pictures. Difference being I didn't have the nuts to weld it myself. Single most expensive thing besides the car purchase so far was getting that area repaired, but it looks stock! Sorry to hear you've been going through all this instead of driving. I should be out at cars and coffee this coming weekend, just not with the Z yet. The repairs look really good, and I like the idea of the bulkhead connectors. Keep the posts coming man!

Yep, the battery tray was pretty rough, much like every other S30, lol. I can imagine the repair wasn't cheap, it certainly isn't a simple repair. It sucks tearing the whole thing down but there are obviously some areas that really need to be addressed. I haven't made it up to cars and coffee since some time last year actually but I'll be up there with a friend of mine with a Noble M12.

Since I apparently like to start multiple projects before finishing any single one project....

I started to mess with the wiring a bit. It looks like I only have about 8 wires going through firewall to the front lights and horns. I moved the 4 fuse terminal inside the car, directly next to the main fuse box. I still need to route the main power wire to the fuses. The fuses there are just placeholders. A couple of them are lightly melted from the fire, so I am going to replace them.

IMAG0520.jpg

Stitch welded the frame rails.

IMAG0527.jpg

Inner Fenderwell pretty much fully welded up.

IMAG0526.jpg

Edited by 280zcar

• 1 month later...

Not much progress in the last month.... A little more work on the engine bay, but nothing worth taking pics of. Hopefully the next pics will show it in primer.

I have picked up a couple parts for the fuel system.

F-body gas tank very roughly mocked up in the rear. I let someone borrow my ratcheting straps, so a couple wires will suffice for the time being.

IMAG0592.jpg

I think as long as I don't plan to go for a dual exhaust setup, I can squeeze the battery back behind the right rear tire where it roughly was before.

IMAG0595.jpg

C5 corvette Fuel filter/regulator WIX #33737. I've got fittings on the way and fuel line and then I'll start routing all the lines...etc..

IMAG0597.jpg

This will need to be reinforced. This is where my JTR Transmission crossmember started to tear the floor pan. new holes need to be drilled just aft of this for the new engine/trans positioning anyways.

IMAG0528.jpg

Edited by 280zcar

A backing plate would absolutely have helped and is what I plan to do this time if I don't just end up making a new transmission mount design. I think most people haven't had this issue, and mine is likely a result of me beating the area down some to make the mating area vaguely flat and stretching the metal.

• 2 weeks later...

I ripped out the rest of the original fuel cell frame and got the gas tank about where I think the final placement will be. Crossbar where the straps are attached is just tacked in place for now until I commit to this placement.

IMAG0621.jpg

I already made up the fuel return and feed lines to the filter/regulator. I'm using factory style fittings and nylon hose. The regulator is attached to a unused stock bracket.

IMAG0622.jpg

This picture shows where the new fuel line will be ran. The line I was previously using is still there but will be getting replaced. A 90 degree AN fitting should line up directly with the hole through the frame piece.

IMAG0623.jpg

Edited by 280zcar

The gas tank frame structure is pretty much complete. I need to work on the strap mounting at the differential side of the tank, but the rear most point is finished up.

IMAG0626.jpg

I took some of the square tubing, cut it in half, and welded the halves to each other (side by side) as the contact points between the tank and metal frame.

IMAG0628.jpg

This is the strap mounting point at the rear of the car. The strap is going to get some reinforcing at the end. The hook is just an eye bolt that got trimmed a little bit.

IMAG0630.jpg

I need to get some more material for the other strap and hopefully it will be ready for sheet metal across the top after tomorrow.

Gas tank straps pretty much done. I need to to make some triangle/gussets to go along the side, bend them slightly more on the end, and then finish welding them.

IMAG0632.jpg

Cut out a piece of sheet metal to fill in the upper part. I don't have a piece of sheet metal big enough to cover the entire area. The next piece will cover the remaining area though.

IMAG0631.jpg

Picture of the straps from underneath. They will be painted black, so the holes will be less noticeable.

IMAG0634.jpg

Next I need to tackle the Gas filler location. I need to pick up some 1.25" tubing to snake the filler behind the license plate. Still mulling around some ideas on this.

Edited by 280zcar

Looking good Kevin. Just finishing my pitiful fuel system, and it has probably been the least enjoyable part of my project so far. Hope you're enjoying it more than I am.

I don't know that I would say I'm enjoying doing this fuel system install lol.... I will say that, I'll be glad to be done with it. I keep justifying all of the additional modifications and set backs as "it needed to be done".... and then I keep thinking that it will never be "done."

How much longer until you're on the road? shooting for a spring time drive? Let me know if you ever need a extra hand.

Will do. Spring is the goal. I think I can have it running and on-road by end Feb. Have a baby due in May so that is the no-later-than deadline. Mocking up my taurus fan to the datsun radiator and moving onto hooking up my harness, have a couple more weekends off with no plans so I should be able to make some decent progress.

Congrats on the baby! You're definitely need to get it going before the kid comes along.lol

I got the Bulkhead connector in and got started on some of the wiring (headlights/turn signals/horns). There are still a few more wires that need to go through... starter and maybe wiper wires, but I may try running the wiper motor wires though the cowl somehow. I also eliminated a couple connectors in the interior in order to simplify some of the wiring.

This picture also shows how little I have messed with the front of the car since it's last update.

IMAG0638.jpg

Edited by 280zcar

• 3 weeks later...

Boring update.

Started cleaning up wiring. Basically just removing unnecessary wires that went to components that have long since been removed and covering the remainder in expandable sleeving. There is still a little more work that needs to be done with the chassis wiring... and then I can get to work on the engine wiring.

A large majority of the wiring will end up being wrapped in non-adhesive vinyl tape like it was from the factory.

IMAG0709.jpg

IMAG0711.jpg

and this is the back side of the bulkhead connector from the previous update.

IMAG0712.jpg

and most of the wiring I've removed from the car over the years....

IMAG0713.jpg

Wow. Very impressive work and dedication. I just moved to Houston from MS.

I have a 72 240z with a 350 sbc 700r4 hybrid. It is almost the same color as yours. It's was fun reading your build. Mine was very similar, and trying as yours. I, however, had to install ac once I moved here cuz the heat is ridiculous. I am now redoing valvetrain and cam.

To make matters worse, I just purchased a 78 280z from your neck of the woods. And it is in running condition. It never ends.

Edited by roro4g63

Thanks and welcome to Texas.

I hear ya on the A/C. This time around I'm definitely planning for A/C at some point sooner than later after it's back together.

Texas and no A/C is not a fun time.

I find myself looking on craigslist every once in a while looking for a second car to drive while this one is torn apart. It's a disease. lol

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I just realized you live in plano.. we should go for a spin sometime.

If I ever get this thing back on the road, definitely. lol.

Well... its been a while....

Started working on the car a little bit after work each day this past week.

I have pretty much all the big fab work for the fuel tank install and fuel filler relocation done. Basically just a bunch of welding and some grinding left.

Small box I made to recess the fuel filler cap behind the license plate.

IMAG0858.jpgIMAG0866.jpg

Piece of exhaust tubing cut to act as tunnel for the fuel filler to pass through and keep it all separated from the interior.

IMAG0848.jpg

This is the filler tube coming up from the tank.

IMAG0742.jpg

New sheet metal to cover the top of the fuel tank up.

IMAG0865.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

YAY... New compressor.. need to move my retractable air hose and get a regulator on it.... just got it today.

IMAG0945.jpg

Recessed box all welded up and some primer on it. still need to weld the tube for the filler neck in place.

IMAG0951.jpg

New hatch deck welded in. Welding still in progress.

IMAG0950.jpg

Fuel line ran to the front of the car. The metal line only goes about a foot under that frame piece and then it is nylon tubing the rest of the way covered in some closed cell foam.

IMAG0933.jpg

And toys... tilton master cylinder, belt, pulley, and clutch hydraulic line.

IMAG0946.jpg

and.... I've got a donor car. 01 YAY... New compressor.. need to move my retractable air hose and get a regulator on it.... just got it today.

IMAG0945.jpg

Recessed box all welded up and some primer on it. still need to weld the tube for the filler neck in place.

IMAG0951.jpg

New hatch deck welded in. Welding still in progress.

IMAG0950.jpg

Fuel line ran to the front of the car. The metal line only goes about a foot under that frame piece and then it is nylon tubing the rest of the way covered in some closed cell foam.

IMAG0933.jpg

And toys... tilton master cylinder, belt, pulley, and clutch hydraulic line.

IMAG0946.jpg

and.... I've got a donor car.

2001 Camaro LS1/rebuilt t56 with 75k miles on engine, 15k on trans.

Fun stuff should start happening soon.

Edited by 280zcar