HybridZ

280zcar's 78 280z LS1/T56

Sounds good Kevin. Congrats on hitting that job yourself. Looks like a good job. I ended up doing two resonators to the Y and a dynomax superturbo in the rear. Mine is much more subdued sounding, but definitely not stock.

The exhaust actually came out really quiet after i finished welding it up, at least at idle. Almost too quiet. So it sounds like you're fully road worthy, we'll have to meet up sometime...

Got the car insured and registered on Friday.

Drove it up to Dallas Cars and Coffee this morning... still need to work out some small things but felt great to finally get this thing on the road.

Drove ~100 miles today and not a single issue other than the realization that I need to section my front struts and order shocks for all 4 corners.... it never ends.

z-cars-coffee.jpg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

Random thoughts...

I think the exhaust actually came out quieter than the old setup, at least at idle(very quiet). It's essentially a stock motor so its very subdued even with just the one muffler out back.

Having an in-tank mounted pump is wonderful. I used to be able to hear the holley blue fuel pump over the sound of the engine/exhaust.

I installed the MGW shifter the other day. It is light years better than the garbage that was on there before.

I need tires. 7 year old Yokohama tires aren't going to cut it. First gear is almost unusable at anything close to half throttle.

Need to get oval exhaust tubing to go under the differential. I've already scraped the crap out of it a handful of times. ground clearance isn't horrible... around 3"-4" but there are a couple intersections I went through at speed and sent out a shower of sparks.

I didn't use oval tubing and I was looking back there today definitely limited with the 3" tubing. Oh well. It is roadworthy, but the tires are so dry rotted they won't pass inspection. I am going to have to get wheels/tires before I will pass safety inspection. Looking to go 15x7 with a low profile 45/50 series. I am actually going to give the chevette springs a try. they are 200lb springs, and I will need to cut them down to length. Maybe a 10% increase. Also trying to locate a stock 240z or front 280z strut insulator to drop the rear as well. Sorry I missed the car at C&C, church had a morning thing going on, glad to see it went well.

• 5 weeks later...

Still waiting for you to take me on a ride in this beast.

Anytime. Let me know the next time you are in Plano.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

New sunroof installed. Ideally I wouldn't have any sunroof but as least this one doesn't leak.

IMAG1197.jpg

IMAG1199.jpg

MSA Carpet kit- first time in 9 years of ownership that I have had legitimate carpet in the car. Also new pads on the Gas pedal and clutch, still need to install the brake pad in this pic.

IMAG1205.jpg

Edited by 280zcar

I love the progress on your build thus far, keep it up man!

May I ask, where you bought the sunroof from? I love the one in my car, but one of the forward piviots are broken forcing the sunroof to stay closed.

Thanks

I got the sunroof off amazon. It was a drop in perfect fit for the original dealer installed one. Mine measured 15" by 30"

CR Laurence AP1530B5H Autoport Sunroof

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=sunroof

Edited by 280zcar

• 4 weeks later...

Front struts sectioned and MR2 tokico inserts done.

IMAG1313.jpg

IMAG1314.jpg

IMAG1316.jpg

IMAG1317.jpg

Current ride height with the 245/45/17 yokohomas moved up front (need replaced). clearance is tight....rubs on corners. going to either raise it up a bit or roll the fender (fender was previously rolled but this is the "new" replacement one)

IMAG1325.jpg

New tires in the rear, 255/40/17 dunlop direzza dz101 with room to spare. I can actually hook in second now.

IMAG1324.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Wheels came in.... tires and fender cutting coming this weekend

Plan is to paint the flares the same color as the engine bay.

Rota RK-R

5 lug 

Front- 17x8.5  0 offset

Rear- 17x9.5 -20 offset

IMAG1351.jpg

IMAG1349.jpg

IMAG1347.jpg

IMAG1350.jpg

Edited by 280zcar

Front Tire mounted for mock up.... time to start cutting. this is the 255/40/17

IMAG1364.jpg

IMAG1361.jpg

IMAG1360.jpg

Are you going to the next cars and coffee? Im fairly certain my new engine will be in my Z by then.

I should be there. Hope you get it done and see ya out there. 

That's a gorgeous color combo!  Sure looks sweet before cutting the body though...  Have you thought of doing the ZG's body color?

Either / or, it's going to be sharp!! 

There is just no way these wheels and the tire widths i want would fit without cutting up the body and doing flares or i'd probably entertain that idea. 

I've got paint left over from when I did the engine bay, so that is part of the reason for painting the flares that color. The entire car needs to be repainted, so I might look into matching the silver body color with the flares at that point. That's probably a year away from happening though... having too much fun with the car to put it in paint jail.