HybridZ

Spongy New brakes

Just rebuilt my 72 240z rear brakes with original Nissan parts: cylinders, shoes, springs retainers etc.

I also replced the old master cylinder with a new Nissan master cylinder which I bench bled before installing in the car.

I am going to rebuild the front brakes next week with all new parts. The existing pads are almost new.

I had the system power flushed and bled after I did the rear brakes with silicone DOT 5 brake fluid.

The rear brakes now have about 150 miles on them, but they are still spongy. Pumping the new master cylinder does not firm up the pedal and bleeding reveals no air bubbles. A hard emergency stop will lock the rear wheels and requires almost full pedal travel. It feels like there is still air in the system. :confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Miles

In my experience, the adjustment of the rear brakes causes a spongy pedal if the shoes aren't out as far as they possibly can be before you put the drum on. It is amazing the difference in pedal between a tight set of shoes and loose ones.You can also adjust them with the drums on by removing the knockout. I work on so many cars I don't remmeber if the Z knockout is in the backing plate or the drum.

Mike

On Ford and Chevy brakes I used to adjust the shoes until the wheel would not spin and then back off the adjusters a few clicks until the wheel would just turn with some slight resistance.

I'll try that approach.

Thanks

Miles