HybridZ

Need Advice: Driving a 35 Year old Car Cross Country 1776 Miles

JSM

You are not going to buy a car without looking at it anyway. That means you need to be there just in case you NEED to back out of the deal. At that point you might as well drive it.

Matt has graciously offered to look at it for me. I think a third party advice on the purchase would be great advice. No emotional attachment due to the fact that he's not buying it.

Last time I had someone I didnt know personally "look" at a car for me...the bastard bought it!!! But then we don't do things like that here, do we guys!!!

DRIVE IT DRIVE IT DRIVE IT...If its worth buying it'll get ya home!!!

There is always that chance, but if it is ment to be, it is ment to be!

I would think buying a car sight unseen is more risky than looking at it and making an in person judgement about driving it any distance. But most people consider me to be a worry wart.

But thinking out loud what is 3 to 4 days of your time worth?

It is nice of Matt to offer his time and help.

Last time I had someone I didnt know personally "look" at a car for me...the bastard bought it!!! But then we don't do things like that here, do we guys!!!

DRIVE IT DRIVE IT DRIVE IT...If its worth buying it'll get ya home!!!

Don't worry, I don't have any money! I will try to get with the owner after I finish work today & try to get to see it this weekend, if I can.

I drove mine from San Diego to Allentown,PA.

3,050 miles. (I had just put an unknown condition L28ET motor in before the drive..literally was putting the turbo in the day before I left!!)

ON top of that I spend 14 hours sitting on Interstate 78 50 miles from home, with the engine idling the whole time, because there was 6" of ice on the roads and the rigs were stuck. Definitely drive it, but if you're only budgeting 200 bucks for gas you're in for a serious surprise.

I averaged 30mpg (seriously!) and still spent over 600 bucks for gas, I mean your average fill-up is still gonna be 50-60 bucks with today's gas prices.

It's still a very fun trip!

I would buy a CASE of oil, though...I used 13qts for the trip, due to the valve guides, and the fact that the turbo was still breaking in, which is common thing to wear on a Z, but it made it.