HybridZ

Quiet straight thoght mufflers....do they even exist?

Forces

I am running dual exhaust on an SBC conversion, but my exhaust sucks right now. No H or X pipe. Glass pacs. not madrel. Enough said. So I am going to use what I have as a starting point. The glass pacs sound awful and they are way too loud. I am looking for something that is low profile, for tight spots. I was thinking of the magnaflow 14" case 4" round with perforated straight through design...but I have heard they are pretty loud too. I am just looking for something that fits 3 criteria.

1. Something that fits.

2. won't attract too much attention for the fuzz.

3. has a good flow rate. Not 'top of the line', but not choking the engine.

I will be adding an H pipe, x pipe just won't fit. at least not without some serious surgury and total loss of ground clearance

I run 14" straight through perforated like you're talking about right behind the front tires (see picture). It's actually not too bad. Yeah, it's loud but it's not unbearable. I think double 14" bullets (4 total) out the back would sound really nice and flow very well but I'm not sure if there's enough room.

IMAG0509.JPG

They're not as low as they look in the picture for some reason.

I added resonator tips (real ones with mesh and packing) to my first Z it was a SBC 2.5" pipes dualled straight out back. I had cherry bombs on it and added the resonators and it mellowed the tone quite a bit...took the BUZZZZ out of it. I just saw some mufflers on Ebay in an Ebay Store...I cant remember exactly what they were called, but they were oval and like 2.75 x 5 x 14 I think and were dual chamber so they would be pretty mild and not too restrictive.. I thought about a pair for my Cutlass since they would fit tight to the floor..

Those spin tech mufflers might work if (when) I threw some taller tires on, but I am not to that point yet. I was thinking of using a magnaflow silver bullet http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE%2D14416&N=700+115&autoview=sku

AND the dynomax silencer

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK%2D24215&N=700+115&autoview=sku

on each side of the dual exhaust in addition to an H-pipe. I am not sure if that is overkill, though. I know I want to ditch the glass packs for sure.