HybridZ

Kicking myself....

zero

So I'm a mechanical engineering student at Princeton University, which being in jersey means we have crazy weather. Last thursday, it was a nice day, so I decided I would drive to my 3pm class. when my class ended at 420pm, it was snowing and accumulating on the ground. So I drove straight back to the parking lot. Going to the parking lot there are two roundabouts. On the second one I decide "I'm gonna get a little bit sideways on the exit" It's something I've done many times with no issue on that turn. I am not talking full out oversteer, just a little wiggle at the rear to let me know I'm in an rwd car. So I do my thing, and the car goes WAY sideways because of the snow and I was probably too aggressive, so i try to correct and I overcorrect, sending me over a curb, slowly, into a tree that was near the curb. I wasnt moving fast at all when i gave it gas so I couldn't have hit the tree going more than 5mph, but that was enough to hurt my 240 pretty badly. The brunt of the damage was taken by my hood and bumper, which are completely done. The annoying thing is that I had my radiator held to the support with zip ties (I know) because the bolts rusted in the rad support. This meant that the radiator bounced off the support and cracked my distributor, rendering the car immobile. Also the curb tore off my side exit exhaust which hung far too low anyway. So public safety eventually drives by as I am trying to push the car to the parking lot which is literally 30 feet away, and refuses to let me do so. So guy files a proper accident report, which I suppose is fair enough, but a huge pain with insurance in jersey. He also says that I need to have the car towed, not pushed, which is fair. But apparantly I must use the university's towing instead of AAA, which costs me 95 bux... Damn. He also wrote me up for an in-school careless driving ticket for 20 bux. I know its not much but it was insult to injury.

Basically I am kicking myself for driving like a bit of an ass, and now am a poor college student in need of a hood and bumper, haha. I will probably throw in my extra radiator and a new dizzy cap, and drive it home with no hood and open headers... that'll be fun. Anyway thanks for listening to my vent and stay tuned for pictures.

-will

How can he write you up for careless driving if he didn't see the accident?

Take it to court and tell them you swerved to avoid a dog that ran into the road. Or did you already sign something?

And no way can he tell you what towing company to use.

Damnit man. Stand up for yourself.

We all have our moment’s man. I dented my hood twice in 10 sec on the same post in my barn just pulling in. If it makes you feel any better I sunk an MR2 on a boat ramp that I drove down. A monetary lack of judgment can be expensive, but the kicking yourself can cost more. Learn and move on.