HybridZ

Here is a real wont starting/run enigma

New2TheZ2006

I have been driving my project car around now for nine months as I work on the body. It always starts on the first turn of the key. I drove it today and then worked on the body again and it woud not start (I know the engine is jelous right).

I know little about engines so I brought a certified BMW/Mercedes/Audi mechanic over (I know, but I couldn't find a Nissan mechanic) and we did the following

-installed guage to check fuel presaure and it is at 40psi

-pulled and cleaned the plugs

-pulled the rotor and dist cap and cleaned the contacts

-checked and found spard in the distributer and at the plugs

-checked the airflow flap thing and it is working

-checked the relay for the fuel pump and it is ok

-checked the connections at the fuel pump and it gets juice

-checked the injectors and they are getting signal

so what it does is wont start, it ran fine this am parked it then this afternoon it didnt want to start it cranks and fires and sounds like it wants to start but it doesnt

I did get it to start one time after the onset of the issue and it smoked out the exhaust and the mechanic said it smelled rich

when cranking it smells of gas like it gets flooded, he thought the throttle body air unit may have a leak and pulled the hose off to find none

I have another airflow sensor thing he wants to switch out for grins

When it is cranking it turns over and sounds like it is going to fire off and go but never does.

The mechanic cant seem to figure it out, but said it is almost as if the timing if off, which he will check tommorow, but I didnt pull the distributor to mess that up

Any ideas , anyone?

I did have it low on gas and all we had was some race fuel handy and put in a gallon it wouldnt start, then I added five gallons regular unleaded to thin out the rase fuel so it wasnt too rich or high an octane, but that allegedly wont hurt it I was told.

HELP:?::cry2:

PS

I have changed the oil, fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter, heater hoses, radiator hoses, and been maintaining it so it is not like it has been neglected. I been doing normal maitenance

Unplug the cold start injector as well. If the thermotime(sp?) switch is bad it can cause unnecessary use of the cold start injector.

You say it smells like fuel, now check for spark. Also, smell your oil, if it is very very rich you might have washed the cylinder walls and fuel could have gotten into your oil. You should change it if it smells like fuel.

Mario

+1 on the CTS check, a VERY common problem point... the connectors get corroded because water can sit in there. you didnt get it wet, did you?? if so check ALL FI system connectors and hit them with some WD40, try wiggling each one while youre cranking.

Thanks guys, I will try these recommendations this week and report back on the results.

Jon

PS

Is this a good reason to do a engine swap? LOL, wife would kill me, ya know how it is? I am already in dog house for getting the car and making it a project over her protest. LOL, :-( I AM THE MAN < didnt back down> now I get to hear about it >LOL<