HybridZ

thermostat choice

SHADY280

The open-loop/closed loop situation is borderline. Like I said, the 160 will not be fully open till 170, and that is near close to remove the cold start (or open loop) situation on most cars. ECU variations, or even resistance in the harness can skew this.

On a car with a standalone, you program accordingly.

Thermal performance of the coolant system works on heat rejection. I would have to see the car run cooler on a 195 t-stat and run some instrumentation on it to understand what is going on in the supercharged scenario. That just sounds strange to me.

On the car with the MAF going to open loop a simple resistor would have solved his problem with the ECU switching to open loop. And disconnecting the MAF Water Jacket (I believe) is screwing with the bypass circuit within the block...making for longer warmups due to no internal water recirculation while the thermostat is closed after initial start.

Having an air temperature sensor bad didn't help either...

As well as the reflashed EPROM... and O2 Sensor conflict sending the car to open loop regardless of what temperature it's operating...

There was FAR more problems on that car than a 160 degree thermostat. Like I stated before, the Nissan ECU's look for just over 170 degrees. In worldwide applications a 'tropical' thermostat is 72C...