HybridZ

Engine Turning

I've been taking a sheet metal class this semster for my A&P course and one of the projects is to make a spark plug tray. The tray was easy to make, cut, bend, rivet, drill, etc... The directions on the lab just tell you to add a finish then turn it in, so instead of just shooting some paint on it like everyone else, I took some supplies home and started experimenting. It took a few hours to fine tune a technique and after a couple deep breaths I started on the tray. It only took two screw ups for me to learn not to do that, it ususally means redoing at least two rows. However, after two hours of work I ended up with something that looks pretty darn good!

I know its not Z related but I am just so pleased with the results I have been looking for things to do on my Z! I have a spare valve cover that I am thinking about having a go at. It wont go on my Z, but maybe someone else would want it. Have any of you guys tried this before?

After a couple coats of clear. It looks so good I dont think I'll ever use it!

100_0635.jpg

I acctually ended up using a disk of scotch brite glued to the end of a screwdriver. I am looking for more methods to produce a finer finish.

I dont ask questions, I just do the labs. But, its a good idea to keep your spark plugs organized once they are removed from the engine. This tray is marked 1-6T and 1-6B for all top and bottom plugs. If you put them in the correct place when removing them you will know where they came from and where they go if you put them back in.

I cut out a circle of scotchbrite and superglued it to the big end of a short phillips screwdriver and chucked that into the drill press. Then I layed out a grid on the base plate of the press and experimented with patterns till I found one that I liked then marked the starting points on the grid and did a swirl, moved the piece over, did another, moved it over, etc... Its really not that hard, it just takes forever. It took approx 1/2 hour to do each 4x8 side, which sounds like a lot but once you get in a rythem its goes by fast.

Cool, the grid thing is actually what i had in mind. I think i have some scotchbright and some steel lying around, i'll have to give it a whirl.

give it a swirl, it'll look better! :P

I like this work, chewievette. really original piece =)