HybridZ

my Holset oil line conundrum (and solution)

GrayZee

I've been working at a way to connect the stock turbo oil feed to my Hy35 without having to tap the center section. This method certainly works but it makes me nervous that I won't be able to remove all the shavings and end up damaging the turbo. I went to my local haudraulics shop looking for some sort of adapter. They usually always have a answer to your problem. This time though, no luck, they spent 20 min just looking for something... anything that will even thread in properly. They had no answers for me, I decided to find out exactly what this elusive thread was. I looked online for info and I found many statements claiming that the Holset threads were M10x1.5 These turned out to be incorrect as a M10 bolt was way too small, and a M12 was way too big. 11 I thought? Naw... couldn't be.. I tried 7/16, close but wrong thread pitch. I finally decided to get my hands on a thread pitch gauge, turns out they were a 1.5 pitch.. definatly metric! I called around to try and find any one that carried a M11 anything... bolt nut, whatever... Nothing.. I called a specialty tool shop and asked if they could get me a M11x1.5 tap or die. They said it would take a week but they could get me one.. I ordered a die for $13 I was hoping to be able to ram the die a M12 bolt but there was still way too much meat there. I found someone that would machine it down to 11mm for me then I tapped it. Perfect fit!!

Well now I am really confused... Obviously there a MANY different types of oil line threads on Holset turbochargers. The stock Nissan bolt is M12x1.5 and the one that Big Phil has according to the pic is even larger than that. I had hoped to leave some info to help out anybody that does this swap but

nevermind, every swap is going to turn out different.... So you guys are on your own... Ha ha ha....

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Bringing this topic back up...

...I'm going to route a 4' run of braided stainless steel line straight to the HY35 off the stock oil distibution block oil feel port on the passenger side. What are the thread on the port? I would like to convert it to an to have a nice AN oil feel line with female connectors on both ends. Also, is it safe to have a straight run of line, or do I need some kind of restictor? How about a filter?

Thanks.