HybridZ

CV Axle, LSD problem

I'm using Modern Motorsports 4 bolt cv adapters with a 3:70 zxt differential in my 78 280 track car. The inner cv cage has been reversed to shorten the axles per MMS instructions. My car is very low. The front rocker panel is at 5" and the rear at 5.5". I'm running 2.5 degrees negative camber with 1/8" toe in on the rear and 16" 265-45 tires. During very hard cornering and subsequent suspension compression, I'm destroying inner cv joints. I have gone through five axles to date. My new axle man has informed me that effective cv travel has been limited by reversing the inner cage. and in-there the problem lies. But, the axles are too long and will not fit without reversing them. Also, I have Ross's adjustable rear control arms and they are adjusted out about as far as they can be moved safely. Has anyone else had this problem? My axle man has suggested having shorter axle shafts made. Can anyone recommend someone who can make custom axle? Is there another solution to my dilemma? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I am installing a setup quite similar to yours using Modern Motorsports adjustable LCAs, AZC billet MB and Brace Kit, R200 CLSD. At this point I am going with 280 ZXT CV halfshafts which I'll bolt up to Ross's billet companion flanges and stub axles (if they ever show up). I may switch over to Z31 CV shafts. I was searching today for Z31 CV half shafts and came across CV Unlimited:

http://www.cvunlimited.com/mainfram.htm

They claim they can design almost any CV configuartion you could ever need.

Good luck and great looking under carriage. Do you have any more photos of your Z?

Tom M

I called Moser yesterday for custom shafts for my r200 and they told me they couldn't do it. The individual I spoke with mentioned that they don't have sufficiently small diameter axle stock to create these for our cars. Seemed strange as I think Ross at MM uses Moser for his R230 kit. If you hear that Moser will create shafts for us please let me know. Thanks.

Hi Tom,

I just ordered a set of Z31 axles from CV Unlimited. I spoke to a guy named Greg or Gray. He said he was expecting you.

I am hoping Ross has a set of Z31 billet companion flanges that I can trade for my 280ZXTs. Apparently he's been having a supply issue with billet parts.

I am only lowering my Z by about 1.5" so hopefully I will not experience the problems you are having.

How much is your Z lowered?

Tom