HybridZ

Looking at a 240 V8, what do you think?

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums, and just found this '73 240 with the Chevy 350 in it. What do you guys think? I know it's a project, but is it too much? The engine doesn't even have 25k on it, from what I'm told. Needs the tachometer, speedometer, temp guage hooked up. Also needs the heating/AC hooked up. Needs new seats, or at least covered. New taillight and side marker, and new rear bumper. Some of that can wait for a while. But what do you guys think, here's some pics. Kinda dirty sorry.

back.jpg

D%20interior.jpg

P%20interior.jpg

engine%201.jpg

engine%202.jpg

side.jpg

I can prolly get the car for 2k, maybe less. I'm thinking about offering him 1k and seeing what he says.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Mauisnow13

ya, i agree. I need to look it over really well. He said there is a little surface rust on the floor boards, and possibly a tad bit on the rockers. Other than that, he said there isn't really very much.

I asked him to check to see if there was any in the wheel wells, he said he would check, so I'm waiting for a response. I'm gonna try to get pics of the rust that he knows is there. Definately needs vaccumed and wiped down on the inside, dusty and has pine needles on the floor, WTF? He said it cleans up nice, and that if I came to look at it, he would clean it up for me.

Any other opinions? Thanks guys.

Just in those shots I saw a lot of rust where you don't always see it. Look VERY closely at the entire car for rust. If it's very rusty it's not safe, especially with a V8

Where are you seeing rust in these pics??..The only rust i can see anywhere in any of the pics is the surface rust on the door striker.The only way i would not buy this car is if it had huge rust holes blown through the wheel wells and floors,but i like body work so even then id probly jump on it.

How much the car is worth is partly dependent on what you can and/or willing to do. I hate body work and paint, so I picked up a stock 240z with a decent body. My car has a cheap paint job, but it looks reasonably good, not a show car but nothing to be embarassed to drive.

Looking at your pics it has probably been repainted and not a great job. They didn't even bother masking off the door catches so the rust you may see may be a sign of even deeper rust.

I noticed the hood catch is a JTR kit, so I would guess the rest of the conversion is JTR.

It's really hard to tell what else the rest of the car has to offer without seeing it in person, driving it or at least starting it up. The rebuild may be total junk or it might be a gem. The best deals are usualy a project somebody didn't finish, but nobody can judge that but you. At just a glance, I would only buy something like that at a steal for $1000 or less, but that is just my opinion based off a few pics.

Where are you seeing rust in these pics??..The only rust i can see anywhere in any of the pics is the surface rust on the door striker.The only way i would not buy this car is if it had huge rust holes blown through the wheel wells and floors,but i like body work so even then id probly jump on it.

Look above the door catch in the 3rd photo. The jamb looks to be rusty where I've never seen it before. And to have the door strike that rusty on the inside, I'm wondering what the rest of the metal looks like INSIDE. The problem with these old Zs is that the inside of the rockers, engine frame rails, etc. just has a light zinc coating that goes away pretty quickly if kept in a humid envirnoment. That's what I would expect the environment that Z must have been in for a while for the inside of that strike to get rusted like that.

Just a red flag that would make me want to REALLY go over this car carefully with an eye for hidden rust (from the inside out. Check the engine compartment frame rails very closely, the floor stiffeners (frame rails), rockers, etc.