HybridZ

What broke? Diff?

nakagusukumike

Got a 260 with an L28 in it. stock 260 Diff.

Stomped on it and sounded like I broke some thing (in the rear end).

Gimping home suddenly it felt like I drove over a brick. No power to the wheels in any gear. I get out of the car and the first thing that I notice is the whole car is 3 inches higher than normal. Only thing I can think of is the rear axle let go of the hub and released the tension on the springs... Haven't even looked under it yet cause I'm working today. Good thing I was 100 feet from home. Towed it with my Xterra.

Half shaft broke loose on the diff (inboard) side and wedged up in the wheel well or between the strut and the body.

OR

The front of the diff is pointing straight up into the body of the car (front diff mount failure). The drive shaft came loose and is hung up on the swaybar or front diff mount.

Sounds like you found the weak link... crawl under it and take a look when you get the chance and let us know what you find. BTW I have destroyed a few diffs and transmissions and I have never had the rear end come up so I am curious about what you find.

Dragonfly

so just looking under the car I found it. On the left side of the Diff the yolk thing that connects to the axle (i know i'm using the wrong terms here) the big pin came out and the axle is just hanging down. hence no power to the wheels. the yolk on the left side of the diff was just spinning. yeay.

so i knocked it loose doing a burnout and then it took a while to actually shake itself completely out.

so the pics speak for themselves. the yoke thing attached to the diff broke the bushings that hold the u joint. How much of this should I replace (so that it doesn't happen every time I do a burnout)?

You broke the U joint, you should change out both U joints in both half shafts. Before putting new U joints in make sure there is no damage to the half shaft or the yoke that goes into your diff, if you find any damage replace the damaged part then put in the new U joints. Unless you are running some huge power that you forget to mention you should not have breakage problems after replacing damaged parts even when doing burnouts.

Dragonfly