HybridZ

Do I have stock suspension?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I bought my car from a dumbass. He had no idea what the car had. He told me it had a 327, it had a 350. He told me the suspension was stock, but I'm pretty sure it's not. How can I tell? Anyone have pics of stock? I will post pics of mine tomorrow (hopefully). The reason I don't think they are stock is because I read in another thread that the stock height of a 240Z was 50". I measured mine the other day, and it was 48" at the highest point. Also, I have very low clearance, even worse because of my exhaust. (I have glass packs that hang just a couple inches from the ground).

Thanks for your help.

While we're at it, are there stock height springs for the original strut housing that can be ordered in different ratings? I'm not talking coilovers. Also does anyone know where to get the strut shims for corner preloading? Mine sits(sat) at 47". I sure I would feel better about this header thing if I could bring it up a bit.

JS

John,

Motorsport Auto and Nismoparts list "European" springs for the stock struts on a 240Z that supposedly are a bit stiffer and retain stock height. They have Stage I (101/112 lb/in F/R) and Stage II (122/140 lb/in)

http://nismoparts.safeshopper.com/index.htm?482

I have read on other lists that these may be NLA - good luck and let us know if you find some and how you like them.

Guest Anonymous

IMHO even stage II is a bit light for a V8Z, I used suspension tech supposedly heavier and 1 inch shorter and the V8 sagged the crap out of them. I have spacers in there now until I can do it right with coil overs, its pretty low I havn't measured overall height, I'll have to do that and see how far from stock it is ride height wise. Just an opinion and I do still have cast iron heads on it.

Regards,

Lone

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

OK, well apparently tomorrow means 45 days. I finally got a pic of my suspension posted on the net. Can anyone tell me if its stock? You can get to it by clicking the link in my sig.

Thanks.

Usually aftermarket springs are painted a dynamic color. Don't forget that chaning tire size can have a dramatic effect on ride height/ground clearance. As well as the effects of time...Mean Ol' Mr. Gravity! :D Considering how much clearance is above and below your tires, I would say it is stock. With my 1" lowering springs (Suspension Techniques) you can just stick a finger betwenn the tire and fender on the 205 55 16's.

I put the MSA European springs on my 70. The MSA catalog said it would slightly lower my ride height. Instead it raised the height by maybe 1 inch. At the time my Z was 20 years old with over 200K miles. Can't expect 20 year old springs to not settle a bit.

If you are measuring the height to the top of the roof, don't forget to use the same diameter tires as a stock Z.

I ran my daily driver with euro springs, KYB gas struts, all urethane bushings, MSA sway bars and 60 series tires on stock steel rims. (MSA use to know me by name.) The ride was definitely more livable than alot of my car club guys with lowered/stiffer setups. The car still sits very flat in turns.

With my 50 series autocross tires on 15 inch centerline rims the car held it's own in the club racing I use to do. On some of the rougher tracks I think the softer suspension was actually an advantage. The 50 series tires DEFINITELY transmit more of the road into the car!

Guest Anonymous

I count 9 coil rings in your picture from top to bottom counting the top and bottom. I replaced my stock springs with coilovers. I count 11 coil rings on the stock springs that Ihave. You may have lowereing springs or someone cut out two coil rings. Someone put a set of after market springs (bright orange) in the rear of my conversion Z and that thing was so mis-sprung that way it could not understand if it was coming or going around curves.