HybridZ

Smelly exaust fixed????!!!!

So here's this... I was at the MSA show chatting with a fellow HybridZ member and a kindly man interupted to ask me if it was my Z that we were standing infront of. I said yes and he pointed out that my Z hatch pillar badges were on backwards? This was news to me because I had never noticed a difference. If you look at the side of the badges there are cut outs. If you put them on the wrong sides(the cut outs should face towards the back of the car) it inhibits the venting of the hatch. which would in turn allow for exaust fumes to enter the cab for the pleasure of the driver to smell. It turns out that the kindly man used to own a Z car shop for some 20 years so in his experiance this badge switching (among other things) caused the dreded "exaust smell". I had my badges off for 3 years and I always had the exaust smell and I asked him why. He said that the badges are enginered to draw out air through the hatch pillars. We also check my hatch seals and they were great.

So I switched the hatch badges today and drove around the block a few times and I didn't notice any smell. could it be that simple? I need a few more miles on the road to verifiy my results.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow on the correct side of the badges.

Has anyone else ever thought about this?

Thank god for MSA show and the wise Z car man.

Matt-

Suposedly you need the venting to get rid of any fumes. So if you shave them off you will still have the fumes.

I asked him about just taking the badges off and he told me that nissan designed the vents to work only one way, with the badges on.

I'll put up some pic in a little bit

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...