HybridZ

How to replace wheel studs?

I think NISMO offers the longer studs.

Replacement intructions should be in any of the repair manuals, probably in the archives as well. I think it's the rear ones that are hard, but Tony D has (or had) a pictorial on how to do it on cardomain.com.

It involved drilling a hole in the backing plate so that you didn't have to disassemble the whole thing.

Mario

If you want the same datsun thread size 12 x 1.25 you can use subaru WRX studs from ARP or somebody else on this web site used a more common gm size 12 x 1.5. Both are available at Summit racing. The longer studs will probably require removing the stub axles.

They can be pressed in, but take care to support around the hole you are pressing the stud in as it takes a lot of force to get them in.

Just word of caution if you use the subaru studs. The only open acorn lugs I could find were made by Gorilla or Summit. In either case it pays to chase the threads. About one out of 4 lugs would bind up, sometimes badly with out chasing the threads. I ruined a couple studs and had to replace them. I would have gotten McGard lugs if Summit had them in that thread size, better quality and chrome plated instead of cadium plated.

In either case it pays to chase the threads. About one out of 4 lugs would bind up, sometimes badly with out chasing the threads.

A 12mm x 1.25 die is great to have for wheel studs and spindle pins but are hard to find. An Ace Hardware opened up around the corner this past week, and poof!, they had 12x1.25 and 12x1.5 taps and dies for around $8 each. I like Ace.

I haven't replaced them on a Z, but on other cars, bang them out with a hammer and then put the new one on from behind. Get about a 1/2" stack of washers and put it on the stud, then put the lugnut on and tighten. Impact wrench is best, but you can do it by hand too. tighten down and draw the stud into place. The only issue would be once you popped it out, is there enough room behind the hub to remove the old one and put the new one in the hole.

I forgot to mention if you want to remove the old ones and you dont care about the old lugs a sledge works fine in one or two whacks. There is enough space to get them out without removing the stub axle. If you want to save the old studs put an old lug nut on it. The old ones come out easy. Putting in a set of subaru studs requires pulling the stug axle out. With the old studs out you can just use a long bolts on two opposite side stud holes and use a nut on each bolt to push the axle out from the strut tower. To reinstall the stub axle, tap it in place and use the big nut in the back to pull it in. It helps if you have a manual to see an exploded diagram.

I forgot to mention if you want to remove the old ones and you dont care about the old lugs a sledge works fine in one or two whacks.

If you do care about the studs you just put a nut on the end of the lug and then hit it with a sledge. Woks like a charm and you don't ruin the old lug. Hope this helps.

I didn't say I knew why he would want the old lugs, but you would be wrong about being about being able to reuse them. Why do you think they would change from going in and coming out once???? Unless you put them in incorrectly.