HybridZ

tail lights

Will eliminating the side marker lights have any effect on the rear tail lights. Since I disconnected the marker lights the rear tail lights don't work. The brakes and turn signals and headlights are all fine. The interior dash lights and rear tail lights no longer work. Any ideas?

My horn don't work either but that's because the little under U shaped metal piece broke off at the plastic so I need a new turn signal. If you have one let me know, I can't see paying a hundred buck for a new one. Thanks

:icon51:

I know so little about electrical and the local place I went to said the car was to old to tell. It's not old it's a classic I said, as I left two black marks leading out the drive. :P

PS

I searched the site and didn't find help in the 12 pages I searched through. So this isn't a post without a search.

I suspect that when you eleminated the side marker lights you opened up the circuit for your tail lights which means that you no longer have a ground. If you still have the wires in the car and they are just haning there try running an alligator style jumper from the black wire to ground on each of the side marker light wires disconected when the side markers where removed and see if your tail lights come back.

Dragonfly

Did you tape up the wires after removing the side marker lights? My guess is you grounded the feed to the lights and blew the fuse. One fuse feeds the dash lights, marker lights and tail lights.

Joe

I did disconnect and then individually tape the sidemarker leads. Hoping I would not cause a short. No fuses are blown so maybe I need to ground the lights. Can I do that at the point closest the the tail lights or do I need to open up the panels again to ground the actual sidemarker negative lead?

Thoughts?

PS

I dont recall, but does anyone know the color of the ground wire to the side marker light assenblies?

Thanks for all the feedback, elevtrical I don't do so well. Hence my blinker fluid comment in signature.

You don't need to ground the lights. I just went out to my car and unplugged one of the marker lihgts and all of the rest of them stayed on. I still think the problem has to be in the light switch or the fuse panel.

Joe