HybridZ

eurethane engine mounts

speedgato

wouldn't eurethane engine mounts shake the crap out of the car? don't we use the rubber mounts to absorbe some of the engine shake? I know they sell solid differential mounts but thoes are suposed to make for a really rough ride.

Matt-

No, I don't think so. I have a buddy with eurethane mounts for his z31 with no crazy shakiing. He got them from some guy on Z31.com. I wonder if anyone currently makes them for s30's. Plus, this isn't for a daily driver.

i've never seen them. i've seen guys take urthane and machine mounts that use a through bolt design to keep the sandwhich in place though.

i've also seen people take stock mounts, and just box them up with some scrap metal to produce a solid mount at O.E. dimensions. there is somthing to be said about having different resistance levels in your mounts though... if your motor is solid/urathane/whatever... and then your tranny and diff are O.E. rubber. your next failure will be one of the rubbers.

if you are going to upgrade, do it evenly across the entire driveline.

I have seen re-engineered mounts that utilize the Moustache Bar Urethane Bushings (where the bar mounts to the body) as Engine mounts. Captive bolt system, very sanitary, the mounts I saw.

Kind of negated the need for a reaction bar to brace the engine from rocking as well.

I have seen re-engineered mounts that utilize the Moustache Bar Urethane Bushings (where the bar mounts to the body) as Engine mounts. Captive bolt system, very sanitary, the mounts I saw.

Kind of negated the need for a reaction bar to brace the engine from rocking as well.

Like this..

1-4-06_059.JPG

1-4-06_062.JPG

Pretty easy to make, I also filled my Trans mount with urethane. The gears in the tranny shake alot and rattle at idle now. kinda annoying..

LOL, yeah, that guy had way to much time on his hands... (he he he!)

Scalloped the fuel rail as well!

I want a photo of the combustion chambers---I hear good things...

Actually, I usually work 11 hour days, the trick is no sleep.

Only 11 hours? That explains how you have som much time for the Z-Work!

LOL

"I got plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead, boy, just hand me the damn wrench!" Overheard Trackside Commentary

Guest Zedintheshed

I like the bolt through engine mount - makes sense rather than putting all the load on the rubber to metal bonding.

Just wondering how well the urethane mount/bush damps the engine vibration? Is a hard castable urethane virtually a solid mount? Much the same as nylon or even a soft metal?

Is a hard castable urethane virtually a solid mount? Much the same as nylon or even a soft metal?

If you are casting hard urethane, probably yes. But you can pour any number of durometers, and with a captive mount like the above shown, making a pourable mould and experimenting with a mix of different durometers for different damping characteristics would be possible.

Using that mount, it would even be feasible to replace the mounts with aluminum for a solid mount as well.

This setup gives many possibilities, not the least of which is the ready availability of pre-cast hard urethane parts for initial fabrication and replacement. You can always make up a mold and pour your own of a softer durometer and then do a road test to see if you want the lesser damping force of the softer Urethane. The real question is: How is the Trans mounted in that beast? Because as stated earlier, you really should use all three mounts of similar material---though it is not a stretch to see the same/similar mounts retrofitted and used on the ends of the tranny crossmember with a solid connection to the tranny from the X-Member. Then you are using one 'universal' mounting bushing for basically the whole drivetrain. Engine, Tranny, and Differential. Probably overkill in some of the places, but that's not necessarily a concern when you are not producing millions of vehicles a year.