HybridZ

Installing the MS-II

cygnusx1

Yeehaw! A couple of hours tuning and it idles and revs in neutral very well. I had to play with the Req Fuel and the VE table and I blended the Acceleration wizard with TPS and MAP. Once I blended the two, the throttle response got far better. I think I am at 40% MAP and 60% TPS blend. Whenever I snap open the throttle, it revs nicely but it makes a whiteish cloud out the tailpipe. I guess it's a bit too rich. I will add the wideband O2 senor after I take it for the maiden drive.

Here is a video after two hours of tuning.

EDIT: Correction to the video...it is running "ALTERNATING, 2 SQUIRTS" in the Injector Setup NOT SIMULTANEUOS.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3285052795322283374

Your entire engine bay is really looking fabulous. Very nice install of the FI/MS!

If you don't mind a mild thread hijack, I keep noticing your seats - they look like they're very similar to the stock seats, but covered in leather? Did you just recover the originals, or are they from some other vehicle? [/highjack]

I keep noticing your seats - they look like they're very similar to the stock seats, but covered in leather? Did you just recover the originals, or are they from some other vehicle? [/highjack off]

I was going to ask the same question.

BTW very nice install!!

Nice install and thanks for posting your MSII msq. Wondering about the bosch idle valve. Is it possible that until the valve powers closed (after warmup) that it vents boost pressure. From stock pics that I have looked at I think it was plumbed back into the J pipe. Just wondering because I would like to do the same thing you have by venting the valve to atmosphere. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you mentioned that because since then, I ran a hose from the idle air valve back to the J-pipe. If you boost, with the engine still cold, yes, the valve would escape boost. It acts kind of like a cold-boost-safety-valve if it's open. I don't like the hissing sound it makes so i am going to leave it connected to the J-pipe.

cygnusx1, have you succeeded in getting a stable idle with the Bosch pwm valve? I can get a stable idle, but as soon as the efans kick in, it stumbles, and sometimes doesn't recover (stalls). Would you mind posting your Idle Control and Idle Control (Closed Loop Settings) pages?

Thanks,

I have the idle control page "none". I am using the factory 280Z-ZX air idle valve. I feed it 12 volts when the key is turned on and that's it. I set the warmup mixture corrections using the warmup wizard in Megatune, I just hit the INC - DEC buttons to richen-lean the mixture while the car warms up. I just try to make it as lean as it will go without stumbling until the head temp reaches about 160. After 160, I use no warmup mixture correction.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a wiring tip!!!

If you are using a heated wideband O2 sensor:

1) Power it up off the fuel pump relay.

2) Power it off the battery.

3) Put in a SPDT switch so that you can switch it to power from either source 1 or 2.

Label the switch 1-RUN 2-CALIBRATE.

This way you can power up the O2 sensor for periodic calibration without having to move wires and jumpers around. Calibration needs to be done with the engine OFF so you need to be able to power up the wideband without turning the key to RUN.