HybridZ

Help me identify this paint

Gareth

Hey,

I've seen this car in someone's MSA 2007 pics thread...

zdj281cie240z217hm0.jpg

zdj281cie240z218fx2.jpg

Does anyone know what kind of paint this is? It looks beautiful, and even my girlfriend said she loves it... Obviously I won't have the "how to paint my Z" dilemma anymore.

Regards,

Tony.

It looks like Dupond hot hues candy sprayed over a silver metallic, or a gold metalic, can't really tell without a good pic in the sun. Just check out the hut hues line from dupont, and I'm sure you can find the shade of red you are after.

Great, thanks for the help! There is a DuPont shop near my house, so I'll go there and check it out. Death69, thanks for pointing this out - I've just seen that this is a slightly different shade of red. I opted for the "bordeaux" paint as seen in the first picture - it looks the business...

It's hard to say exactly what brand of paint it is. It could be PPG, HOK, Dupont, ALSA...the possibilities are endless.

Could be a couple different things though. Could be something like a metallic silver base with a kandy apple red overlay. Or could be a simple as a pearl paint job. Without having a really close shot it makes it hard to tell.

If you want to simulate that look, I would definately recommend going with a (and I prefer HOK myself) metallic base coat, then the kandy apple red overlay. If you want it to really have some kick in the light, but with out being too glittery from a lot of flake, then get some pearl white and "dust" the silver before you apply the red. That will keep it "clean" looking, but when the light hits it just right will give your Z some Zing.

Anther option would be to lay down a pearl base and come back with the red.

Keep in mind that a true kandy paint will get darker and darker with each applied coat. Where as a pearl paint will achieve coverage and maintain the same color.

You could go with my suggestion above, and if it is still too red, then you could hit it with kandy brandywhine which is more of a burgandy, and add layer after layer until it took the tone you were looking for.

The one I was refering to was the last pic in your post, and it is similar to these pics. This car was sprayed with Dupont Hot Hues Hot Rasberry candy over a silver metallic base.

The first two pics look like a branywine type color.

chrome in the dome (20) (Medium)_thumb.JPG

chrome in the dome (25) (Medium)_thumb.JPG

Well, it looks complicated from what you guys wrote. If so, is there a burgundy paint that could emulate the car from the first two pics? I don't really care about the base coat, as I would only like to make the car look from distance as the one in the pic. It's not that I want any additional effects - just the exact burgundy shade. It's not going to be a show car, so I'll probably make some dents here and there while driving it roughly in some sporting events - in this case, a standard burgundy paint should do the trick. Now the question is - does anyone know what kind of paint this might be, if there is no silver base coat?

It's a pity that I don't live in the States - I'd like to be able to meet you guys at some kind of a Z car show, and say "thank you" personally to everyone out there. I love the Z community! :D

Do get that kind of pearlescence you will have to use base/clear for the shine and depth and a candy or pearl paint for the radiance. You can use a cheaper 2 stage version of say the late 80's Ford Mustang color called "strawberry metallic" ( I dont remember the code)and get a similar color but it will be a metallic rather than a pearl. Getting the clear slick and the metallic even will be the trick to making a 2 stage look good. I wish I had pics to show you as I have used the color several times but it was years ago.