HybridZ

Vancouver, Washington

Al Keller

• Administrators

Also, Oregon doesn’t have any sales tax, WA does, which is supposed to offset the state income tax, so depending on your spending habits, you may want to research that a little first.

I don’t know about WA emissions and registration laws, but here in Oregon, in the Portland metro area, you have to pass a tail pipe emissions to register your car. You only have to do this twice a year and registering your car for 2 years is only $52.

Now for the really good news. Outside of the greater Portland Metro area here in Oregon, say like out here in Sandy where we live, (between Portland and Mt Hood, 30 minutes from Vancouver), there is no DEQ or emissions testing for your vehicles, just $52 every two years to register our cars, no matter what engine is under the hood, no matter how much of a gross polluter it is. For some Hybrid Z owners, that alone can offset any and all state income tax we pay, which I prefer over sales tax any day.

So live and work in Vancouver (no income tax) and shop in Portland (no sales tax), best of both worlds. :)

Technically if us Washingtonians buy something in OR we're supposed to report that and pay use tax to WA state but who's going to do that, I certainly don't.

Not sure about emissions across the entire state but in the Tri-Cities there are no requirements for smog inspections, just register each year for about $40.00. I know Spokane requires a tail pipe snif but not sure of the Vancouver or Seattle areas.

1 key difference between income and sales tax is with a sales tax I can control how much tax I pay by controlling how much I spend, can't do that with an income tax, unless I decide to earn less (not a good method to avoid taxes). BTW, WA doesn't tax non-prepared food and most other essentials.

Wheelman

Not sure about emissions across the entire state but in the Tri-Cities there are no requirements for smog inspections, just register each year for about $40.00. I know Spokane requires a tail pipe snif but not sure of the Vancouver or Seattle areas.

I checked awhile back if Id have to go through emissions and if Im remembering correct I wouldnt have to. But I might be wrong. Ill have to check again.