HybridZ

DOH! Broke my strut pin tool!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, I broke my strut pin tool. :( More specifically, I just pulled the threads out of the welded nut. Of course it also boogered up the threads on my strut pin, but I think it's the out section of thread where the nut doesn't sit anyway. I'll have to make a run to Sears hardware tomorrow and pick up some metric grade 8 nuts and try to recreate Dan's "big-nut-small-nut' welded jobber.

1022290994.68.100.165.222.jpg

You can't really see that well, but there are no threads left in that nut! twak.gif

With god as my witness, I will never go coilover-less again! ;)

Henry

Progress so far.

Guest kc6wfs

Hi Henry,

I got to get one of them tools.

I'm going to convert mine to coilovers in the next month.

And going to replace ALL the bushing ect, in the rear.

Who did you get the tool from? Dan?

I want one!!!!!

Dave

cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

I basically did the same thing to Nezzie 76's removal tool by not fully threading on the metric nut to the strut pin. If the metric nut is not fully threaded,thethreads can strip out. I figured that a Datsun suspension nut would be a lot stronger than an aftermarket nut. Also I believe the front lower control arm nut is also the same size thread and a stouter nut. I welded up a Datsun strut pin metric nut to a larger nut I had (made a spare too) and had no more problems. We are talking major stress on this nut to pull the strut pins!

Cheapest thing to do is to locate the materials and weld up a new one. I'm a bit suprised you broke yours--they are pretty well made.

Dave Booth: you won't regret buying one. Zthang was selling them--look way back in the 'for sale' section.

Davy

Guest scca

i pulled the threads off of 2 pins and i welded up 2 extra nuts..

doesnt work for me. if the pins are not in that tough it will work but for those tough ones i think that the threads are not strong enough to pull the pin out ..

so far i have tried 2 struts both from a calif car and it didnt work on either at intended.. obviously it worked for others but not for me

so if someone else wants it i will sell the one i have here

Guest Mr. Big Business

Hello, this is actually Not that Dumb (had to get a new screen name...). I just wanted to clarify that I still love that tool. It pulled my other strut pin out like a champ. I'd definitely advise anybody doing this work to pick one up. It's worth it, even if you only use it once!

Henry

Auxilary and I used the tool on his car and a junkyard car---tool pulled it like a champ with no problems whatsoever. Even though I bring lube to the junkyard, we never even bother soaking the pin, because so far we have never needed to. My $.02

Davy

Same thing happened when I used it. The next time I use it, God forbid, I'm going to use a slide hammer set-up or a shop press (there's my excuse to get one-Harbor Freight has them for as low as $60). I like the tool. It's ingenious. It's just that I have the worst luck with stuck hardware and I'm likely to end up with the stickiest strut pin on the planet. I guess some come out easy with the tool and some do not.

I read over everyone else's problems and figured I'd take it real easy with mine. Pulled all the threads out of the nut anyhow. Obviously we have found the weakest link :rolleyes: I'm going to try and get a nut with more threads and a higher grade and see how that works out. Mine on the parts car are REALLY stuck, but its personal now, I want to get a set out without damaging them. Mine are not stuck in the rubber bushing, but the iron part of the strut assembly. I pulled the wedged pin out, cut a rubber plug for the bottom and filled it up with WD40 and am letting it sit for a couple of days 'til I can find a hardened nut. Or several, actually.

Guest Anonymous

I polished the strut pins on a buffing wheel after they were removed. As tight as the one that originally stripped the metric nut there was not that much rust. I still endorse the tool and a Datsun strut pin metric nut is an excellant welded on replacement.

Originally posted by DavyZ:

Auxilary and I used the tool on his car and a junkyard car---tool pulled it like a champ with no problems whatsoever. Even though I bring lube to the junkyard, we never even bother soaking the pin, because so far we have never needed to. My $.02

Davy

Davy, if Dan runs out can I borrow yours?

Guest Mr. Big Business

Here's an update on my drama so far. I just pulled the threads out of two more nuts that I had welded up. At this point I'm going to just give up and take it to someplace that can press it out for me before I completely ruin the threads on the pin. Although for only $22, I suppose replacing the pin is no big deal, on the grand scale of things.

Henry

Guest Anonymous

I worked both sides of the fence when romoving one stubborn pin. I tourqed on it until my nerve ran out and told me to back off at which time I went to the other side and tourqed on it like I was stuck in mud and rocking the car. I also had a welded driver nut that I also thread on the other side to tap with a small sledge to give the pin a little encouragement as I was tourqing the other side out. After a while of this altering from side to side , there was movement at which time the pin was pulled enough through that the other side's pin threads did not show. I stayed with this direction until the pin was over half way out and began to show that it's difficult struggle was being abandoned to my will. Yeah and I constantly talked to the pin in the most unendearing terms.We are talking about one hour here of constant persuasion!

LOL, I too welded one of the strut pin nuts on a new nut to repair the puller. I think I will weld a pounding plate on another nut, that's a good idea. That way you can tighten it down on one side, pound it on the other, then tighten, then pound until you get decent movement. Should whip right out. Yea, right. :rolleyes:

I'm actually glad to hear these experiences. It was the worst stuck hardware I have ever come across in all my years working on suspensions. I wonder why they made it that way?. Makes you almost think that Arizona Z's fully prepared rear control arem with brakes, springs, and struts is worth it.