HybridZ

Transverse Link - Spindle will not come out - Help

I was surprised how little movement was possible using the bolt. I had figured on the slop helping me to align the strut, but really it allowed barely any movement whatsoever.

Exactly. The reason I did this is because the ES sleeve is captured between the outer washers and the hub. There isnt a noticeable amount of slop, either. I suppose if you were super anal you could just fill the thing with RTV before putting the bolt in. I really dont think misalignment is an issue with this solution.

- Greg -

Just think how likely it is that any of these 30 year old car suspensions go back together with any kind of close tolerance anyway,you really have to know where you car stands in the first place before knowing whether or not something is going to harm it or benefit.

did you figure this .17 degree of toe change based on .010" misaglinment front and back

Good question. I calculated it with the longer dimensions of the bushing edges, and then added the shorter dimensions of the pin boss. You are correct in that the longer span does reduce the angle error.

• 3 weeks later...

Well so far Ive had the Z for over a month and have about 40 hours and most of my play $$ into it. Its sitting on jackstands. Fianlly got to work on it lastnight from 8:30pm to 1:30am then 8:30am to 4:00pm minus a few hours for this and that. (kids, mom, the old lady etc)

IMG_3236%20(Medium).jpg

My youngest son Neo today

The project -

Remove TLS - Transferse Link Spindle - I really didn't have to but I want them removable for later projects I have planned

Remove Wheel Hub and bearings

Remove Drum Brake Assembly and brakcets

Clean parts

Install Maxima Disc Brackets (Still undecided if I should cut out the 4th bolt for later mods)

Install New Bearings

Maybe Change Shocks and Springs - Maybe (My old Z has the Blue springs and Tokito standard shocks)

2 weeks ago

1st Left TL from parts Z - I pounded out - some deformation but left nuts on and they cleaned the threads OK

2nd Left TL from New Z - I Pounded, heated, Pounded, drank beer, decided to tear the back hatch interior out.

Last Night

Drank Beer, Explained to the Z how much happier it will be when Im done, Told the Z its part of the family now and how we will cruise all over the island and all the fun we will have. Then after looking at the problems at hand, I then proceeded to clean and organize the barn. I also gathered cleaned and cut (oh just got a used metal band saw had to play with and used it 5 times on this project) some all thread and various stuffs.

This morning

Said Good morning Z - Its a beautiful day out

Homemade TLS Puller

1/2 allthread and nuts

Datsun 620 factory lugnut - and bolt to be used a handle while fabricating

galve water pipe

washers including 1 TLS washer

I welded the lugnut on to the end and using a bench griner rounded off the lugnut till it was round and fit into the pipe, you can see the rest. It successfully pulled out 2 hard TLs and shows no signs of stress. Its important to make sure the modified washer is holding the inner steel part of the bushing back. And it takes a while turning by hand - if I find a 3/4 drive socket Ill weld up a extention for it.

IMG_3242%20(Medium).jpg

I was unable to get this puller on my new Z Left as I did a job on that thing (1 1/2hours) eneded up sawsalling it apart, at least got my A arm back. I need to build a press....

Crappy homemade slide hammer

IMG_3245%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_3244%20(Medium).jpg

But it pulled 3, or actually I pulled 3 today, sweating man, getting thirsty.

IMG_3243%20(Medium).jpg

I doubt it works as well as the real tool (Loaner Program:-D), and it took me a while to get it all togather. For me I think its worth it since I had all this stuff laying around, I have 2 more cars to part out and am actively looking for more.

Save the Z - HawaiiZ

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...