HybridZ

Bolt in Rear Drum to Disc Conversion

Courtsey Nissan is awesome. They already got here.

IMG_3184%20(Small).jpg

IMG_3185%20(Small).jpg

Still have to find some bolts. Anybody know the size I need????? And if they are special where to find some?

Yes they are a bit heavy. Im thinking about cutting the 4th hole out but prob won't since Im doing the wheelbearing anyways

IMG_3188%20(Small).jpg

Since I was doing the wheel bearings may as well get the ujoints..

IMG_3187%20(Small).jpg

And what the heck chenge out the clutch slave and hose, nice cast unit.

IMG_3186%20(Small).jpg

IMG_3189%20(Small).jpg

Got all this stuff from gws-rareparts on ebay for $180 Delivered. Woohoo, napa and carquest are crazy prices and special order.

Also orderd a set of SB1010 Speed Bleaders, http://www.raceshopper.com/speed_bleeders.shtml If I can blead the brakes all by my self then its damn worth the $28. Wheel see how those work and Ill post results. Aloha HawaiiZ

I used the early maxima brake brackets and the 10" [or so] maxima disk on my 71 240z. It worked well in that it did not interfere with stock Nissan 14 inch alloys. This is largely a bolt in operation, but there were some glitches that I did not completely resolve.

I went through about 4 different sets of calipers b/4 I found a pair that allowed the emergency brake to be mounted. Several calipers had the parking brake mount cast into the caliper body; others had a bolt on attachment. They all had a different angles. Finally, I sat down in a parts house and reviewed photos of every nissan rear disc caliper they could order. I think I ended up with calipers from an early 240sx. The units I purchased had a separate bolt on parking brake mount. Still the geomentry for the parking cable was not pretty. I reversed the ends, so that the clevis for the passenger side was routed over to the driver's side. This worked without having to fashion clevis extensions.

Next, none of the 240sx calipers were drilled to accept double flared brake fittings. They were drilled and tapped to accept a hollow bolt "banjo" fitting.

I resolved the mismatch between the flared and "banjo" brake fittings by having short hydraulic hose fabricated with the correct fitting on each end.

This setup cleared my suspension travel, but my z d/n have a rear sway bar so I don't know if it would clear such a set up.

Someone on this forum actually located a coupler that would accept the brake double flare brake fitting off the 240z body mounted hard line and then screw into the 240sx caliper.

I spent less than $150.00 sourcing junk yard parts, but easily 40 hours chasing them down. Ultimately, I purchased the complete rear disk brake kit from Modern Motorsports in Vancouver. They were mounted and bled in less than three hours, three beers, and three war stories with my pals.

However, the MM rear discs do not clear any of my "old school" Nissan 14 inch alloys.

g

Ok I see it in this pic a little better

At this angle it almost looks like the e-brake arm will almost contact the swaybar..

12316463284.jpg

So how about this....

If i move the mounting bracket for the hardline to rubber hose it would be OK??

And if so - its bolt on besides the relocation of the "mounting bracket"

Also ive read the parking brake cables are very compatible/near stock with this setup??

3rdly and this is the big question

Will this be the optimimum street setup considering

Price of system total

Ease or replacement parts IE -

Note parts in the owners manual and

whenthey need replacing just Ask for this that part and turn in cores.

No rotor mods, caliper parts swaps etc.

Am I missing anything here? Thanks for all the input. HawaiiZ

Edit - Now been looking at 82zx calipers - what to buy?? I just want someone to tell me if I get this here are the potential problems.

Regardless of which brackets you use, you have to remove the drum brake backing plates. While you could remove the axle stubs and remove the plate in one piece, that is NOT a fun job. Since there's no market for the plates anyway, most people just cut them off and bolt the bracket on. Of course, the bracket has to be "3 sided" in order to fit without removing the stub. There are some brackets with 4 bolts and, again, you would have to remove the stub.

You might want to pull one of your drums off to help get a better picture in your mind. Here are 2 pictures of the finished brakes using the Modern Motorsports brackets and 240sx calipers w/300zx rotors.

p1040612largehp0.th.jpg

p1040613largeva7.th.jpg

You seem to be concerned with saving the wheel cylinders to maybe reinstall some day? I think once you finish this job, there is no way you are going to want to go back to drums. It's a lot of work, quite a dirty job, and the results are excellent on the track. Why would you want to go back?

its not the mm brackets im concern about, im concern about the factory maxima brackets not fitting. on the sticky on top of the forum, it shows that with the maxima brackets, you would have to modify the bracket ears and bore out the center hole to 82mm to fit. i know about the third whole being cut off already to save time on not removing the stubs. i just want to make sure this will fit because when i took it all appart just for measurements, it really looks like i would need to bore out the center whole to make it work. heres a thread about modding the brackets...im i missing something or are other other factory brackets that'll work???

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=102340&highlight=rear+brakes

Progress Pics

I clocked the bracket - I never knew how easy it was to drill in cast iron - Just has to drill 1 hole - I have 3 bolts holding it.

IMG_3248%20(Medium).jpg

These are 83-83 ZXT calipers I bought from a hybridz member - brake hoses match great.

IMG_3249%20(Medium).jpg

Im using the stock 280z parking brake cables and with some mods so far they look really good as far a angles - May have clearence issues. we shall see but it looks good.

IMG_3250%20(Medium).jpg

Ive decided to get it all working first and then disassemble, clean and paint.

IMG_3251%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_3252%20(Medium).jpg

Bleeding the brakes - I will have to remove a caliper bolt and tilt the caliper to bleed. Oh well - could be worse.

IMG_3253%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_3254%20(Medium).jpg

Im pickin up the rotors today - Napa and carquest are 45 minuits away and I just bringing 1 of the strut assemblys with me.

Aloha all - The brakes have been done for a few days and all is well. Compared to the stock brakes its awsome. I have full control, lockem, chirpem, fast quite stopping power. Rear bias seems to be working fine.

Parking brake was a biatch but I got it (I will do a whole write up just on that part if anyone wants) 3 clicks and it engaged 4 to 5 and I can get them to lockup while driving. I may do a bit more adjusting/modifications on them but its perfectly usable as a parking brake, I just want more control for using them while driving (for fun).

Im still using the old used pads the rear brakes came with and when I get my new tires installed (cmon costco) Ill get new ones with either more or less aggressive pads, or may install a manual brake bias for fine tuning.

So the conclusion was "Its not a bolt in by any means" I have probebly 30 plus hours into it but a lot of that was the spindle, parking brake modifcations that I belive would need to be done reguardless of what conversion kit is used due to the differences in pull requirements.

My new tires should be in a 2 weeks and Ill be cleaning, painting and wil post more pics at that time. Peace HawaiiZ

Oh one more thing - SpeedBleeders worked awesome, I bled them all twice by myself. No stress man.