HybridZ

Dying guages?

gjc5500

In my 73 240z my oil pressure and water temp gauges will suddenly start to drop. they make it about 3/4 of the way down and start to come back up. then they fall. happens when im driving. if i hit the dash below the gauge it will work for about 30 sec then start doing it again. coudl this be the guage betting ready to go out?

In my 73 240z my oil pressure and water temp gauges will suddenly start to drop. they make it about 3/4 of the way down and start to come back up. then they fall. happens when im driving. if i hit the dash below the gauge it will work for about 30 sec then start doing it again. coudl this be the guage betting ready to go out?

If the gauges are moving in tandem (as you seem to indicate), they are not the problem. (I don't see two gauges plotting to fail in exactly the same manner at exactly the same time). That leaves a common wire/loose connection as the culprit, which you have confirmed by hitting the dash. You even know about where to look...

Many vehicles (my wife's 69 Datsun roadster included) have a bi-metallic strip regulator in the gauge circuit that fails with age. (Your Z's diagram at Autozone doesn't seem to show one):

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1d/1d/80/0900823d801d1d80/repairInfoPages.htm

When the regulators go flaky, they cause similar problems. The roadster regulator is a little rectangular can with a tab for screwing it to the car, and a spade connector on each end of the crimped in place plastic lid.

<>

When the regulators go flaky, they cause similar problems. The roadster regulator is a little rectangular can with a tab for screwing it to the car, and a spade connectors on each end of the crimped in place plastic lid.

OOOOH, that's what those are... i noticed two when i was taking my dash out and wasnt sure what those regulators were for, and was too lazy to stick my nose back in a book and find out what they were (i work in a parts store and my nose is always buried in parts books)

To remove the gauge. You don't have to remove the whole dash, just the center air/heat/fan panel. To remove it, you have to remove your stereo, the four phillips screws in the corners and disconnect the 4 wire control cables under the dash. There are 2 on each side.

I just replaced my gauge and it fixed the exact same problem you have, so it must have been the gauge's voltage regulator, not the one by the alternator.