HybridZ

Building a Paint Booth

RacerX

I'll add that if you're going to build a booth do it like Ernie and make it strong. I cheaped out and made mine out of thin PVC. My booth was outside, and the wind shook the plastic sheeting until it tore itself to death. I ended up tearing down the booth in a fit of frustration and did without.

Lesson learned; if you're going to do something do it right.

The reason I built the booth with the 2x3's was to ensure that the "heavy parts" (like a differential housing, starter motors, alternators etc.,) we would be hanging to paint would not collapse the booth. If we were going to be painting parts that were "only" supported by stands then I may have opted to use something else for the structure.

Ernie/RacerX

Explosion proof fans and lights are pretty much required by law when building a paint booth/ mixing room. Mainly for fumes/sparks. If you've never seen a paint room type fire before, I personnaly hope you never do. I've never seen anything go up so fast.

While the DIY guy can get by with these types of set-ups, I hope you have some nice neighbors. If the Fire Marshall is called, get ready to take it all down ASAP, as this type of set-up at home, in your personal space, whatever, is sooooo illegal in I would geuss all 50 states.

I don't mean to be a downer, but at the same time, I wouldn't want to hear of someone having a nasty fire destroy everything they've busted there hump on either.

Either way, if it works, go for it, and good luck.

By now I'm sure you probably figured out that I have the luxury of a Quality, Professional Facility at my disposal.

While the DIY guy can get by with these types of set-ups, I hope you have some nice neighbors. If the Fire Marshall is called, get ready to take it all down ASAP, as this type of set-up at home, in your personal space, whatever, is sooooo illegal in I would geuss all 50 states.

Actually, his setup is pretty "text book." I found nearly the exact thing inside the new "Paint-you-car-on-a-budget" by Pat Ganahl. The hobbyist is exempt from a lot of things here in CA. Those are some of the few liberties we have left and we cherish them. That said, smell is the only concern with the neighbors, but the houses in that neighborhood are spaced apart very well and there is plenty of foliage to camo sight and smell.

Davy

you may also find that only one of those fans is ness. for most paint requirements, its kinda trial and error. 2 prolly will be needed for clear, that stuff hangs and atomizes pretty good, so get it out. i have my shop on a sod farm, so there is no worry here about smell. specially cause im by the clippings hut. rotting grass is gross in huge amounts.

talking to a guy that does motorcycles tins out of his garage, i asked him about dust/bugs and neighbors.... he said he sets up a quicky paint booth using expandable construction poles... you know, the type that hang the orange netting.... each pole is linked at the top by a lateral having clips built into it.... basically, u just extend a series of these poles up until pressed against the ceiling and clip on the plastic...

for controlling overspray, he uses a fan and filter (cheap stuff from wal-mart) on both the intake and exhaust. the intake is placed up high and exhaust down low (on opposite sides of the booth of course).... he then sets the exhaust fan at one speed faster than the intake to create negative pressure....

anyway, sounds pretty trick to me. i wonder where one could pick up a set of these pole things? guess i shoulda asked....