HybridZ

Front brake upgrade (ZX/Pintara)

Guest VertexZ

Guest VertexZ

Car is a 77 260Z 2+2 currently all stock brakes...

my rotors & pads need replacing, so its a good time to put something better in smile.gif

So far the best option seems to be the 300zx rotor/280zx caliper (as per http://www.zhome.com/rnt/FordPower/BrakeUpdate.html

1. which hub do I need to make it all fit? what are the different hub measurements?

2. Is it advisable to change to the 15/16 m/cyl at the same time?

What about the U12 Pintara brakes? zedskid's site doesnt work anymore, but does anyone have the info on this setup? How easily does it all bolt up relative to the zx setup?

Basically, i just want a decent performing setup which is relatively simple to install. Any other ideas welcome.

thanks,

Jeremy

For the 300ZX rotors to fit most easily, you will need to use the 240Z hubs. If memory serves me correctly, the wheel flange that the rotors bolt onto is 17mm. The later model hubs are thicker on this flange, and thus push the rotor inboard too far for the calipers to be a simple bolt-on arrangement. Yes, I'd advise the increased bore size of the ZX MC also. Otherwise, the firmness of the brake pedal will diminish somewhat when you go to the larger calipers (piston).

I have been struggling with the same question. There are so many different brake options in so many different postings on this site that I often consider summarizing them all in one big posting.

300zx rotor/280zx calipers is one option. Unfortunately the JTR manual questions whether this option is really an upgrade, says the ZX brakes are no better than the stock 260 brakes.

The relatively low buck option I like is Toyota 4x4 4 piston calipers. Two options here, just the calipers or the calipers with a 300zx (or Z31?) rotors and spacer. Here is a link giving a cheap source of rebuilt calipers

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001209

Look back through the old links and you will find a LOT of discussion on this set up. Some people think the set up is too heavy. But what I have noticed is everyone who has this set up seems to like it. They say it stops hard every time.

Check out this excellent thread:

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001298

For rear brakes the general concensus is the stock drums in good shape are adequate 90% of the time. The JTR manual claims replacing the aluminum drums with cast iron ones from a Datsun 510 will improve performance, but I have yet to see even one posting that agrees with this statement.

Hope this helps.

For front brakes, the U12 Pintara is not an option because they are too small. The U12 rear calipers may be an option using the 4 stud Z31 rotors for the rears. But that is not a bolt on conversion, custom caliper mounting brackets are needed, plus handbrake and brake hose mods.

Yes, check the archives because someone is using VT Commodore rotors on the front with PBR calipers in Oz.