HybridZ

Finally running 20 psi boost!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 280ZForce

Congrats on feeling the power of upping the boost.

Seriously Phil, turn that boost down for a bit bro....but get some vids while you have it there. :-D

I don't want to see your stock bottom end go to pieces cuz of your crazy driving. Same thing on the trans.

Time to get a spare block and get some forged pistons for good measure for the just in case sh*t.

there is only so much that stock pistons can take...

Phil: I'd recommend that you lower the boost a little bit for regular driving and start finding parts to build a new bottom end. Then with the new bottom end built you can boost the poo out of your current block. There are a couple stroker cranks an other cool things near you if you want to go that route... I can find the exact locations if you want...

I'm thinking...Big-"big power"-Phil will be your new name...

I could see you up there with the other high HP guys in a year or less with a 2.9 or 3.0 bottom end.

Yea, I was thinking of driving around on "low" boost setting of 15, and leave the "high" boost setting of 20 when that A-hole in the Vette at the light wants some of this?

Congrats on feeling the power of upping the boost.

Seriously Phil, turn that boost down for a bit bro....but get some vids while you have it there. :-D

I don't want to see your stock bottom end go to pieces cuz of your crazy driving. Same thing on the trans.

Time to get a spare block and get some forged pistons for good measure for the just in case sh*t.

I know, I know, I need to turn it down. I have a spare block (3) actually. One turbo f54, one non turbo f54, and the original n42. I need to build one of them with some goodies. I REALLY like the work your doing on you motor:icon52:

Ever consider running a water/meth injection setup? It can really increase the engines.. how should we say?... "blow up limit" Bernard has been running 20+psi on a completly stock high mileage engine with the aid of alcky injection for a while now.

Pehaps run 15psi all day long, and when you turn it up to 20 you can let the spray keep you safe. That way you don't have to filler up all the time.

I'd recommend that you lower the boost a little bit for regular driving and start finding parts to build a new bottom end.

Too late..........I blew it up today!! It's blowing smoke out the valve cover, again. All I need are rings to put together another turbo motor. I've got bearings, turbo pistons, turbo f54 block. Pulling 20 psi of boost in 4th. Trying to tune to get ride of some detonation, when detonation got rid of my $100 short block. Oh well no big deal. I kinda figured that it was gonna go anyway. I still don't have the money to build anything serious, just a basic stock turbo lower end.

good grief Phil!

Listen to me!!!

Just put this motor together and then build a STOUT bottom end...

LOL.

BTW... how fast were you going to get full boost in 4th? :wink:

120mph? faster than my stock breaks can handle? I heard one, maby 2ish pings. I let off the gas and saw a cloud of blue smoke. I new it was over. The car still pulls hard, and runs and idels just fine. Just smoking out the valve cover which means its over Johnny.:cry2:

i'd say get some of the earlier toyota truck calipers for your Z. The non-vented rotor ones. For $120 you can get rebuilt ones plus a core charge...

I went from being able to push the brake pedal down all the way till it stopped and it would not lock up the tires to being able to lock up the fronts with MORE tire...

If your can't even lock up a skinny 215mm wide tire then you are in some serious trouble.

I don't even have working brake booster right now and it still stops good.

120mph? faster than my stock breaks can handle? I heard one, maby 2ish pings. I let off the gas and saw a cloud of blue smoke. I new it was over. The car still pulls hard, and runs and idels just fine. Just smoking out the valve cover which means its over Johnny.:cry2:

You don't need 20psi to beat a vette btw...

10psi on a good tune will cover a c5 w/ mods in most cases.

15psi will cover a c5 z06 or base c6 in most cases...

c6 z06... 20psi wouldn't be a half bad idea... but you'll never put it down in the low end w/ out radials, and your aerodynamics will get you walked if you try to run him top end.

all a mute point now that your down again obviously, but like others have said... a "low boost" motor can be perfectly fun and reliable. 10psi daily, 15psi "medium" boost, and i've still not tuned for my "full kill mode" but i imagine it'll be around 22ish psi.

either way, bet your getting pretty good and knowing torque specs on the internals now arn't ya! :lol:

i've doen that a few times to my l28et got so good at replacing pistons i could get them replaced from start to finish in about 6 hrs with the engine still in the car ;) I was running 25-28psi on my hybrid turbo the only bad thing was my lead foot and running 30psi on it :D I could run 25psi all day long on it and i had no problems at all i'd bump it up to 28 and run it at the track with time to cool down. Car made gobs of power but those ring lands just don't like detonation ;) loved the vid, if your gonna do it do it right and replace the pistons with some forged ones to handle the power. Oh on a side note the machine shop i used to put the new pistons on the rods commented on how stout and built the STOCK rods were on the l28et ;)

very nice! I cant wait to get my motor done. which reminds me, I should take those non-molested KA24DE heads over to the machine shoip today and let them take some measurements!

anyway, "while you're in there" you should to a little home porting work. just clean up the valve bowls, it WILL make a difference!

Wait a minute Phil, didn't you tap the engine block to install a knock sensor(I may be wrong, it could be someone else). The knock sensor didn't retard the timing to prevent serious detonation?

I never hooked it up to the megasquirt:cry2: But The detonation is loud!! I tried to get off the gas fast to get out of it, but it got me.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd like to see some pics of the ring lands once the pistons are out.

I did this on the way back for SEZ about 20min away from the house. A pretty girl got beside me and was stairing and I could'nt help but kick it...We had just got the megasquirt and turbo installed the night before the race, it drove like a dream there as we tuned for the three hour drive...only one or two problems. As we drove the boost went to 6psi and I was happy...drove and tuned some more then it went to 10psi...So I was thinkin, "Dang the better we tune, the better it runs and builds more boost"...I was wrong...next it went to 15, then we hit 20,...I started thinking, I bet my custom wastegate actuator is too close to the exhaust and its melting a hole in it making it harder to open....Ding Ding Ding...We showed up at the race and spoke with Olie05 and Thumper about the tune and learned some new tricks... On the way home I just had to let off when boost was going to high... I was nearly shating my pants on how much power the old NA motor was making. Then comes trouble on a Pontiac Soltice... Kicked it and think the boost went to 25 plus as I checked the rearview for the girls and all I saw was a smoke cloud...:( Here was the head gasket..which looking at the tops of the pistons, I thought they were un hurt, so I put in my ARP studs and a metal head gasket to do it some more...Boy, what a waste of time. I fired it up and saw it acted like it was running on 3cyls and then did a compression test..120,60,50,50,50,20psi is what it read...So now I'm rebuilding it with a set if turbo pistons and refabing a new wastegate actuator so I can try it again...live and learn , I was and still am so happy with the power increase.

36.jpgpistonsbroken003.jpg

Ever ringland was busted and the skirt was toasted on one...Here is the difference in ringland of turbo and NA pistons, if you have never compaired

pistonsbroken002.jpg