HybridZ

RUST- Battery Tray Repair Pics.

buZy

It has been awhile since I posted any progress on my car. Here is what I had to deal with, it's not pretty. This was the last and final battle with rust. Would not even wish this repair job on my worst enemy as I wasted my lower back doing this one. Ouch, at 38 I am getting old for this stuff.

These are pics before seam sealer and paint to show repair job. They will remain in my gallery for awhile as to maybe help others someday who search confronted with this horrible crisis carnage.

Process- Cardboard templates, .048 mild steel, Steel Rivets, I love them as they really perform compared to welding to .034 thick 30 year old metal. The ability to pull the material together and increased surface area. Some welding too where I could work it in. Difficult welding down in a hole and no upsidedown welds underneath. Jegs battery tray which was cut down to fit accordingly. The battery sits about 2 inches lower than oem. Yes it still clears the tire at full suspension compression and turn. Roughly about 3/8 clearance, quite the design task.

Result- Very strong. Actually tied back into the firewall, inner fender and shock tower.

More progress soon. Ok enough said here are the pics.

Brian

The_hole.JPG

mock_up.JPG

mock_up_metal.JPG

HPIM0743.JPG

underside.JPG

Inside2.JPG

Tray.JPG

Brian, the work is coming along nicely!! Thanks for posting the pics. If you have a thread going under Member's Project's, it would be good to post them there too!! :2thumbs:

Good resolution on the photos and decent lighting by the way.

Davy

Brian,

Where did you get the battery tray and hold-down?

This the Jegs battery mount I used. Modified it greatly cutting down all the extra material as possible around the base and relocated the uprights to clear the optima battery terminals. The top part is made from .250 thick alum.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_75398_-1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gr8White

I am so not looking forward to this..... That's the only area I have rust on my 78 and knew it was going to be a b*tch....Very nice work, I was going to go the all welded route but after looking at yours I may reconsider. Great job and nice idea on the Jeg's tray. This site is saving me a bunch of mistakes and associated headaches!! :icon6:

I am so not looking forward to this..... That's the only area I have rust on my 78 and knew it was going to be a b*tch....

Yep, me too. I will procrastinate on this one until the motor is out, that's for sure. Do a quick search on battery trays and you'll find a thread on lowering the battery tray at the same time. Helps with CG and all that good stuff.

- Greg -

No bondo, used 2 part epoxy paste. Applied then smoothed over by hand with water (using rubber gloves). The water helps the smoothing of the paste. Allow to cure. Paint is Rustoleum flat black brush on. Looks great on the engine bay area too for those interested. A Very easy to maintain finish.

These materials can be purchased at your local hardware store cheap.

Brian

HPIM0871.JPG

No bondo, used 2 part epoxy paste. Applied then smoothed over by hand with water (using rubber gloves). The water helps the smoothing of the paste. Allow to cure. Paint is Rustoleum flat black brush on. Looks great on the engine bay area too for those interested. A Very easy to maintain finish.

These materials can be purchased at your local hardware store cheap.

Brian

HPIM0871.JPG

That is some nice work you did. Loved how you trace cardboard to metal. Very professional. The bodyshop here in my area only know how to cut pieces into squares and hammer it in to fit before they weld. You went the extra mile and that deserves a reward.